K-Tec

A layout Question - fixed or fluid?

More
18 years 5 months ago #18718 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: A layout Question - fixed or fluid?
I'm definitely a fluid man. Being fluid doesn't mean that fancy graphics etc can't be used. For an example look at www.unreal.ie - it's a fluid site with a full page banner at the top. This is achieved by have 3 parts to the banner - the middle part resizes to fit to screen while the other parts of the banner stay absolute sizes. Works quite well I think.

I use Firefox here - and I have my bookmarks on the left side of the screen. They're not always open but when they are they don't necessarily use up the right amount of space to mean that a fixed site isn't lost at the edges.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18719 by Macros42

Fluid might be a bit of a pain for people with small monitors though.

meh! Does anyone use anything less than 17" CRT nowadays? 15" flatscreen are standard with new pcs and they have the same visible area as a 17" CRT.

It's down to resolution not screensize and 1024*768 is the optimum rez any site should cater for - that's the proper rez for 15" LCD. People with higher rez (me :D) will have no probs with sites designed for that.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 5 months ago #18721 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: A layout Question - fixed or fluid?

I'm definitely a fluid man. Being fluid doesn't mean that fancy graphics etc can't be used. For an example look at www.unreal.ie - it's a fluid site with a full page banner at the top. This is achieved by have 3 parts to the banner - the middle part resizes to fit to screen while the other parts of the banner stay absolute sizes. Works quite well I think.

I use Firefox here - and I have my bookmarks on the left side of the screen. They're not always open but when they are they don't necessarily use up the right amount of space to mean that a fixed site isn't lost at the edges.

Ah yes, an excellent example of a shinny fluid layout (they are quite few and far between actually).

I'm getting a general conscensus that fluid is preffered so far.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 5 months ago #18722 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: A layout Question - fixed or fluid?
Guys you really cannot forget about the visitors to this site who may not be as technically aware as a lot of the people here. Some people believe it or not still have old pc's with resolutions set to a width of 800...Yes a lot of us have broadband and large monitors but a lot of visitors may not. We should aim for the lowest common denominator

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 5 months ago #18725 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: A layout Question - fixed or fluid?
But doesn't fluid work well with both?

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
18 years 5 months ago #18726 by Macros42

Guys you really cannot forget about the visitors to this site who may not be as technically aware as a lot of the people here. Some people believe it or not still have old pc's with resolutions set to a width of 800...Yes a lot of us have broadband and large monitors but a lot of visitors may not. We should aim for the lowest common denominator

But a fluid site will work ok with 800*600 even one designed with 1024*768 in mind. The other side of your argument is why should people have wasted real estate because of a minority with old technology?

17"CRT / 15"LCD is not a large monitor size. It's bog-standard and has been for at least 4 years. I haven't seen a smaller monitor in a long long time. A large monitor now would be 21"LCD. Even my nice (5 year old) 19" CRT is not especially big by todays standards. Have a look on boards.ie - people are giving away 17" CRTs free becuase they're obsolete.

Steve
--

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds