K-Tec

Nice Astronomy Books you started off with?

More
19 years 5 months ago #10906 by hamster
Hi,

I have downloaded a lot of useful info and books from the net on Astronomy. Recently I turned my attention to get a good selection of recommended Astronomy books - ordered through from Easons.

Yesterday I got Norton's Star Atlas (Hardback). This looks likes a very good reference book with general information in a detailed sense about Astronomy in general, telescope workings, the solar system and of course detailed star charts.

I also got a more introductionary book labelled Starry Night. This is a ring binded version useful for outdoors and has some nice constellations for practical use. It also has some great advice on telescopes and general information.

What books did you find useful or interesting?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10907 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Nice Astronomy Books you started off with?
Hi thats an interesting post. I have a decent astronomical book collection at home however the same book that i return to again and again for info on the night sky is...' david Levys Gude To The Night Sky'...it used to be called ..'The Sky - A users Guide' its an excellent resource :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 5 months ago #10910 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Nice Astronomy Books you started off with?
I've got quite a large selection of astronomy books. Some I'd recommened are Stars & Planets by Ian Nicholson (in index format, A-Z, very good book), Handbook for Telescope Making by Neale E. Howard (old, but by far the best), and occasionally, Astronomy for Dummies, particularly when giving talks to school kids.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10918 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Nice Astronomy Books you started off with?
A book I find particularly useful, especially when outside is the "collins gem guide",its pocket sized and has a guide and map of each constellation..I think the latest incarnation is called "Stars"

Cheers
Trevor

More
19 years 5 months ago #10929 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Nice Astronomy Books you started off with?
I also have the collins gem guide, it's the only book I can use in the field with the scope without a small table, as you can very easily hold it in one hand.

Its great for picking out the constellations, double stars and the brighter deep sky objects. I found it particularily useful for star hopping.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds