• eamonn obrien
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #11206 by eamonn obrien
manual / motorised mount... was created by eamonn obrien
Hi Folks,
Eamonn here, thanks again for the advice on where to buy 8" and larger scopes. It has opened my eyes :shock: to a wide choice of scopes and dealers , bargains I can look at. My problem is :? I enjoy the idea of manually tracking objects by hand using R.A and DEC navigation without motor which I used on my previous EQ-5 mount but as well as that I'd really like to have a motor attached for tracking objects also with perhaps a GoTo system , so I can use either compuer or manual technique as preferred. I was in contact with D.Hinds about an 11" celestron scope with Goto on a German HD EQ-5 mount but sadly :( I cannot use it manually as it is motorised ( its item no. 11067 on d.hinds web site). I have to admit I've only used a manual mount EQ-5 ( which is a great challenge to locate objects with sky maps + planisphere ) and my knowledge and use of GoTo or even GPS is limited to seeing others use it and what I read about also in scope catalogues. My direction here :P is to have the independence of tracking manually and also use the optional motorised mount at my leisure with Goto if possible. Would it be worth while investing in both motorised / manual mounts if all else fails, I suppose thats up to myself. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eamonn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11209 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: manual / motorised mount...
Hi Eamonn,
The lx200 is a goto mount, BUT it has RA/DEC slow motion controls on it for those times when the power runs out, it even has setting circles for the determined!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• eamonn obrien
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #11211 by eamonn obrien
Replied by eamonn obrien on topic Re: manual / motorised mount...
Hi Dave,
Does this mean when the power runs out I would be able to rotate the mount by hand using RA/DEC as if no GoTo function was actually in place ( first calibrating the RA/DEC to say betlelguise in orion for tracking objects) without damaging the goto system.

many thanks,

Eamonn.

Hi Eamonn,
The lx200 is a goto mount, BUT it has RA/DEC slow motion controls on it for those times when the power runs out, it even has setting circles for the determined!

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #11213 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: manual / motorised mount...
Hi Eamonn,

A german equatorial mount with goto sounds like it would be just right for you. Have a look at the EQ6 Skyscan mount. Its motorised and goto but you can turn all that off and use it just like your old eq5.

You definitely dont need two mounts.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #11214 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: manual / motorised mount...
Eamonn,
Yea, you can do this once the scope is not powered up. This is a fork system and works in altaz mode normally, you'd need a wedge to make it polar (RA/DEC) , see my avatar pic.
But, like DaveGr said, an eq6 would be a much cheaper and hence a more viable solution to what you're looking for.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• eamonn obrien
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
19 years 5 months ago #11226 by eamonn obrien
Replied by eamonn obrien on topic Re: manual / motorised mount...
Hi Dave,
Is this lx200 a meade mount and would it be compatible with the 11" celestron that is equipped for an equatorial type mount and not a fork mount.

thanks,

Eamonn.

Hi Eamonn,

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds