• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #11951 by martinastro
Atmospheric Spectacular! was created by martinastro
Hi all

Today as been amazing for atmospheric phenomena. At 16.00 i looked up into the sky and for the first time i seen a rainbow coloured upper tangent arc 25*above the sun and about 25* in length and very bright. After my eyes adjusted to the glare i looked at the zenith and spotted yet another phenomena that i had never seen before...a circumzenithal Arc! which was also bright, rainbow coloured and curved upwards like a smile! After 30 mins i was shown another atmospheric treasure, low in the south below the sun was a rainbow coloured lower tangent arc which was curved downwards. As if this could not get any better after some time 2 very bright sundogs appeared 22* east and west of the sun and also where rainbow coloured, bright and elongated vertically and slightly curved at the tips. These where visible all day then in the late evening a solar halo appeared which fully connected up with the sundogs then to suprise me further the sundogs grew bright tails that pointed away from the sun which was the indication that i was observing sections of a parhelic circle! The eastern sundog had a long bright white structured cirrus cloud hanging from its eastern side giving the impression of a great sungrazing comet with the parheila as the coma. What a incredible display, overall i seen sundogs, solar halo, upper and lower tangent arcs, a circumzenithal arc and a parhelic circle all at the same time! Then for the icing on the cake a faint golden 5* high solar pillar appeared before sunset. I have never seen the half of these phenomena before but i got them altogether at the same moment. I took MANY images and did several sketches. Images are below!

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20877

Keep your eyes peeled :shock: :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #11953 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Atmospheric Spectacular!
Martin - they are lovely pics. This will be a day you will long remember.

I take my hat off to you for such diligent observing and more so for telling us lot all about it and sharing your pics! You are truly a righteous brother :)

Cheers

Dave McD

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #11955 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Atmospheric Spectacular!
Dave thank you very much for your very kind words! You have put a smile on my face :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 4 months ago #11956 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Atmospheric Spectacular!
WOW ... now that's what I call a good day's observing!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds