• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #11993 by martinastro
May 12th Sundog + Plane was created by martinastro
www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/th...id=20916&posts=1

For the 3rd day in a row here in Norhtern Ireland we have been treated to more atmospheric phenomena. On May 12th i could see a rainbow coloured upper tangent arc then 2 more rainbow coloured sundogs 22* from the sun and each 10* in height. There was also the beginning of a halo at one stage then as the sunset and the sundogs set i could see a faint 5* high solar pillar. Later i seen a Lunar pillar as the crescent moon set in the west. Above is the image of the western sundog and plane.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #11997 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: May 12th Sundog + Plane
Hi Martin,

Your posts over the ast few days have inspired me to keep a closer eye on the sky during the day but I'm sad to report that I haven't caught any of the phenomena you describe down here in Maynooth. I'm gonna keep looking though!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #11999 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: May 12th Sundog + Plane
Thanks Bart! From Maghera today the sky is very much cleaner so i doubt i will see anything but maybe if the aurora activity would pick up....that would make up for it :D The sun has been very interesting to observe with 4 large groups visible, i counted over 100 spots/pores yesterday!

Clear skies Bart and good luck with your observing!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds