Venus Observed In Daylight!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #12087 by martinastro
Venus Observed In Daylight! was created by martinastro
I have always wanted to observe planet Venus in daylight for a long time instead of just before sunset but properly in a bright blue sky with the sun up. Not long ago i set up the meade 8" LX10 deluxe SCT in the back garden and using the finder i aimed the scope just one finder field above the sun then began a systematic sweep at 49X moving in horizontal paths working my way upwards to the NE of the sun which itself was well placed high above the western horizon. During set up i had focused on the moon so i wasnt wasting my time using a unfocused telescope and i would never know it until night fall. After a few minutes i found the plant no problem! at 20.17 UT which i admit to getting a real kick out of it. The planet was a glorious white pearl through the scope and its disk was nice and sharp. It was also an easy target in the finder scope. I shouted over to Conor to inform him of what i had seen and he shouted back to inform me that there was a nice sun dog low in the sky blocked from my view by garden trees. I relocated and saw the bright dog (multi coloured) as a bright patch sitting in a lovely white cloud strip and surrounded by blue sky. A nice session!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12088 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Venus Observed In Daylight!
Martin,
Nice one on catching Venus during the day, although the way I catch it is abit different to the way you do it.
Like yourself, I find that the planet gives a much nicer image during the day, when its far from the horizon.

Since I use a goto, I place the solar filter on the scope and do a goto to the Sun, if it doesnt get it perfectly in the eyepiece, open the clutches and center it manually and then focus. Then do a goto to Venus and there you go.
I always make sure that I use a dew shield to block any off axis sun light from entering the tube.

I always have a healthy dose of paranoia when it comes to the Sun. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 4 months ago #12099 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Venus Observed In Daylight!
Nice one Martin, but if you're looking for a record for actually seeing Venus during the day, Dave Lillis has a shot of a Venusian sliver about a week before the Transit last June, taken during daylight! Dave, where is your picture of that? I couldn't find the post in a search here...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 months ago #12108 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Venus Observed In Daylight!
Seanie,
Its on the SAC site, but I will link it in here.
This is a sequence of images over the first half of last year, all to scale, I dont have an individual image of The "blue sky" pic of Venus lying around.
You can see how the differing seeing conditions affected the image quality.

homepage.eircom.net/~sac/graphics/inner/v_montage04.jpg

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #12111 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Venus Observed In Daylight!
Fantastic!!!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds