• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #12661 by martinastro
My May Observing Highlights! was created by martinastro
Hi all

Thought i would give you a quick summary of my own personnal observing highlights during the month of May.

* Seen 12 sundogs

* Seen 4 22* solar haloes

* Seen 4 Upper Tangent Arcs

* 1 Circumzenithal Arc

* 3 Parhelic Arcs

* Observed 4 solar pillars (including the best i have ever seen)

* Seen 1 44* Solar Haloe

* Seen 4 Lunar Pillars (many were pairs)

* Seen 3 Lunar haloes

* A selection of the brightest rainbows i have ever seen

* Spotted Venus In the day time sky

* Seen 2 Aurora displays

* Witnesed MANY great ISS passges in Jupiters vicinity

* Found 3 new galaxies i have never seen before during comet sweeps. NGC2681, NGC2950, NGC5248

* Completed 22 Hours and 57 Mins of comet hunting bringing my total to 765 Hours and 12 Mins of searching since May 1st 2000. Have logged 2579 telescopic satellites and 204 telescopic meteors.

* Regular observations of C/2004 Q2 Machholz and 9P/Temple1

It has been a great month with a large number of clear nights. I have seen more atmospheric displays during this month than i have in my life! keeping progress of each months observing highlights is great fun and really puts things in perspective :D

Clears Skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12662 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: My May Observing Highlights!
I think I just broke dictionary.com trying to work out the meaning of all those big words!

I don't think I could pronounce circumzenithal arc but I'm going to slip into a conversation one of these days so that Bob (a friend I sail with) can say "Ewwwwwwww" like he usually does if I say any words over two syllables.

Lucky you. I've seen more rain than Noah.

You should get yourself a blog and publish the results. I am sure you would get many hits.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #12666 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: My May Observing Highlights!
Thank you James!

lol yea cirumzenithal arc is not the normal everyday kind of conversation people have. Throw that one into the middle of a corronation street conversation and see the looks you get! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds