New Comet C/2005 K2 LINEAR

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #12782 by martinastro
New Comet C/2005 K2 LINEAR was created by martinastro
Below are a seious of posts by myself regarding this new comet.....see if you can observe it?

Regarding the new LINEAR comet, yes i was actually trying to track it
down last night with the 16" but i could not find it however the sky as very bright. It is located in western Uma well placed in the western sky. It is moving very fast and is of decent size and diffuse however some observers are reporting a slight condensation visible which seems to be growing. It was mag 18 at discovery then brightened rapidly to mag 12.7 and now i have a heard of a trusted visual observation that places it at mag 11. June seems to be the month to observe it before it vanishes to the southern hemisphere. I will keep trying myself with the hope of detecting it soon

I have just heard that this comet maybe in outburst!

It is now estimated to have a visual magnitude of 9.8 DC:3 with a diameter of 4 arc mins. Minimum coma size measurements place it at 25000 km wide but probably longer! It will disappear from here at mid June so do try and observe it. Remember it is moving rapidly south each minute so you will need to sweep around a bit from its actual position indicated by its RA and DEC for any given night.

During this time it is approx 50 degrees from the sun heading from Uma into Lynx. See if you can observe it!

Folks this comet is very interesting. It has now brightened to Mag 9.5 DC:4 with a diameter of 6' and that was using 11X50 binoculars from an experienced observer! I was clouded out last night but hope to have another chance to find it tonight. It is much easier to see than comet Machholz.

Thats 3 comets within range an done of them is brand new!

Below are the thoughts from a Maik Mier, a famous comet discoverer (SOHO) on this comet and visual comet hunting......

I think that C/2005 K2 is a nice example for the still existing chances for visual
comet hunting - despite being discovered by LINEAR. The discovery by LINEAR was at
an elongation of only 69 degrees in the morning sky. The comet then reduced its
elongation steadily and coming closer to earth at the same time. Given the quite
fast brightness evolution (independent of the reason - instrumental or physical)
it could well have been that LINEAR would have missed it (or would not have been
observing due to bad weather). Anyway, the comet then suddenly jumped into visual
visibility at about 60 degrees elongation and would then have been a nice trophy
for a visual comet hunter searching at small elongations.

We still have no visual comet discovery this year.

Very encouraging indeed! .. amateur comet dicovery is not dead yet.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds