• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #12988 by martinastro
NLCs was created by martinastro
www.nlcnet.co.uk/nlcreps.htm

I have just got an email reply confirming my NLC sighting and images (6th June) from the UK NLC website. My sighting and two images have been placed on the website for all to see which i am very pleased about Click the above link to see them.

Was completely clouded out last night but i hope to see and image more displays in the very near future! spaceweather has received alot of images lately of NLcs which look very good!

Anybody else have any luck tonight with the weather?

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
19 years 3 months ago #12989 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Nice
That must be a good feeling, how did you do it ? :P

More
19 years 3 months ago #12990 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: NLCs
Well done Martin! Its probably the least you deserve put putting all those hours in!

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 3 months ago #12991 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: NLCs
Well done Martin.
Can you assist me with my understanding of NLC's?
My understanding of them was always(?) quite firm in my mind, but the image by W. Hamburg of Germany seems to be defying my definition. What is the definition of an NLC?
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 3 months ago #12998 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: NLCs
Thanks very much everyone! :D

I will have a look at that German image.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 3 months ago #12999 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: NLCs

Well done Martin.
Can you assist me with my understanding of NLC's?

Bill,
generally, Noctilucent Clouds (taken from glowing clouds close to night time) form extremely high up in the atmosphere. It is believed that due to their height of formation (quite possibly the highest elevation clouds of any type can form - about 80knm or 50 miles), they come from meteor dust, encrusted with ice crystals.
They are only seen generally between latitudes of 50 to 65 degrees as you move from the equator. The sun is no more than 6 degrees below the horizon (as far as I know), which puts it almost an hour roughly after it has gone below the horizon. If conditions are right, the NLC's form away from your observation point (and NOT overhead), but catch the suns light and reflects it to you.

These clouds were actually first recorded after the Krakatoa volcano explosion in 1885 by a German observer, T.W. Backhouse.

There is an interesting article in the current issue of Realta actually, submitted by Ronan Newman, about Noctilucent Clouds (sorry, couldn't resist plugging that!)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds