• Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
19 years 2 months ago #13035 by DeirdreKelleghan
Moon Gymnastics was created by DeirdreKelleghan
www.universetoday.com/am/publish/whatsup...20_2005.html?2062005

Link above for more cool stuff

For most observers, the Moon will appear to be full, but will not actually reach that point until 04:14 UT tomorrow morning. Just take some time to watch it rise! Known as the Rose Moon, Strawberry Moon and Honey Moon, if atmospheric conditions are right, you might see an orangish tint to its form, but the real fun is "moon illusion"! Everyone knows the Moon looks larger on the horizon, but did you know this is a psychological phenomena and not a physical one? Prove it to yourself by looking at the rising Moon upright... It looks larger, doesn't it? Now stand on your head, or find a way comfortable to view it upside down... Now how big is it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13036 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Moon Gymnastics

Now stand on your head, or find a way comfortable to view it upside down... Now how big is it?

You are kidding........ right? :?

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13164 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Moon illusion
Moon illusion:

I think I read somewhere that experiments with human perception show that our eyes have a tendency to scan to left and right when taking in a scene, rather than up and down. This may be a factor as well

the "flattened dome" idea might be correct: I asked a friend to point first to the horizon, then to the zenith, then half way between. Generally
my friend's arm was raised not 45 but about 30 degrees above the
horizontal. My unscientific guess is that most of us go through life
(as did our ancestors) with our attention directed mostly to the
horizontal and the nearby region above and below, thereby conditioning
our perception of space.

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds