My June Observing Highlights!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13333 by martinastro
My June Observing Highlights! was created by martinastro
Ive always noticed that June has been a month for clouds and this year it has been no exception. There where a large number of overcast nights however i made the most of it and observed on every clear night and day i could get. Here have been my personnal observing highlights....

1) I made a handful of Venus observations during the middle of the day with the sun near over head. First using a telescope and finder then i managed a 100% naked eye sighting of the planet with the glaring sun near by. I did not use anything to shield the sun. I am very proud of this observation as it is something i have always wanted to do

2) Observed 4 colourful sun dogs (many double sightings)

3) Seen 3 solar pillars

4) Observed a 22* solar Halo

5) Seen one elusive murk white Upper Tangent Arc

6) Seen a lovely bright rainbow coloured Circumzenithal Arc

7) Observed 2 lunar pilars - both visible at same time.

8) Seen one naked eye sunspot

9) Seen the largest full moon in 18 years rise in the SE!

10) Seen a fantastic thunder and lightning storm where i obtained my first image of lightning strikes touching the ground!

11) The nice Jupiter and Moon conjunction

12) The recent amazing Venus and Mercury Conjunction!!!

13) I made 3 sightings of Noctilucent clouds. 2 of these displays where incredible and i obtained many good images.

14) Because of the cloudy skies i only got 6hrs and 14 mins of comet hunting done. Which brings my total to 771 hours 26mins of telescopic searching spread over 540 comet sweep sessions since May 1st 2000. I have also logged 2597 telescopic satellites and 204 telescopic meteors.

Who knows what July has in store for amateur astronomers. I look forward to the nights getting darker and the impact on Comet tempel. Maybe if we are all very nice the next great Comet/Nova/Super Nova will appear for us to marvel at over the summmer. Fingers crossed

Clear Skies to you all :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13335 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: My June Observing Highlights!
Martin - you sure have been busy! Well done and especially for logging it all and letting us know!

By the way, I look forward to Deep Impact NOT splitting Tempel 1 and sending it hurtling toward Dublin... If it did Bertie would have an excuse for the cracks in the Port Tunnel, a leaking swimming pool and a busted roof ad nauseum... :lol:

Thanks again and keep us all posted on your July escapades!

Cheers

Dave McD

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13336 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: My June Observing Highlights!
lol lol lol

Thanks Dave! :)

Yea ive heard of these bogus reports about the comet being knocked towards the earth. I guess some people just never do any research into these things. Hope the media doesnt get hold of it.... tut tut tut :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 2 months ago #13384 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

Maybe if we are all very nice the next great Comet/Nova/Super Nova will appear for us to marvel at over the summmer. Fingers crossed

The best things come to those who wait..........Bring on that supernova, this time of year would be excellent.

Keith..

More
19 years 2 months ago #13434 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: My June Observing Highlights!

and a busted roof ad nauseum... :lol:
Dave McD

It beats blaming the wind. :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds