• Matthew C
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13375 by Matthew C
Bologna observatory was created by Matthew C
Hi everyone!
I am currently on holidays 50 km from venice. Bologna is quite far away and i was just wondering has anyone been to the observatory and if so, is it worth visiting?
Matthew C

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13378 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Bologna observatory
Sorry Matthew - I've not been to Bologna Observatory but judging by the web site, it looks worth a visit. Lots of history...

From www.bo.astro.it/

Guided visits take place on the first Saturday of each month, (September to April 2-4 p.m.; May to August 4 - 6 p.m.)
Daytime visits for groups and schools can be also organized after reservation.

Night visits are not usually allowed, except at the beginning of August, when some nights are dedicated to the public, after a personal reservation.

If you don't make it there, enjoy the hols anyhow. And for your information, Galway is currently experiencing a heatwave - 24+ degrees and bright sunshine forecast for the next 7 days and the pubs have been instructed to serve free drinks for the duration. Yeh right.....

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 2 months ago #13395 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Bologna Observatory
Hi Mathew,

I have never been there myself , but a friend of mine used to work at the observatory, called the Loiano Observatory. He was just at my house a month ago. Apparently, there hasn't been any change since the telescope was established back in the 1970s. The telescope and observatory have never been upgraded since then.

The telescope is a GOTO but everything else is fairly manual. Even the observatory slit has to be moved every few minutes as the telescope is tracking.

It's a 1.52m RC (English mount) built by a French firm.

BTW, a group of students 2nd year from NUI Galway go out there for a few days each year to use the telescope.

There is also a radio astronomy facility at Medici , Bologna. It's a 32 m dish, steerable radio telescope.

Have a good holiday

Eamonn A

More
19 years 2 months ago #13985 by Cathy
Replied by Cathy on topic Re: Bologna Observatory

BTW, a group of students 2nd year from NUI Galway go out there for a few days each year to use the telescope.

Hopefully I'll be one of them next February :)

Did you make it out to the observatory, Matthew?

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds