July 2nd Noctilucent Clouds!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13397 by martinastro
July 2nd Noctilucent Clouds! was created by martinastro
Im just in from a good nights observing. I spotted the NLC display at 23.24 LT in the very bright twlight as barely visible white elongated cloud strips barely visible to the naked eye. I used a small pair of binocluars to confirm them. At midnight the display was obvious and it grew in size and brightness (type 4) but it faded out later in the night. I lost sight of it around 03.00. It was a lovely green display very prominent in the NW to N sky sector expanding 62* long and an elevation from 2* to 7* at its height. It was a type IIB display of glowing elongated strips. It was not spectacular compared to the last sighting but it was still a prominent good show all the same. I took many images from a pitch nearby although the tripod got a good rattle from the wind at times. Luckily the sky stayed clear all night. This is my 4th NLC display of the season. I even managed to squeeze in some comet hunting with the 16" and checked a few variable stars with the 10X50 binos. In the morning twilight i observed the rising crescent moon with earthshine as it broke free from distant tree tops low in the NE using the 90mm ETX. This has been one of the clearest nights i have seen in some time with decent trans. Im still thinking of going back out again to observe Mars before i retire for the night. lol

I will post a link to some of my images shortly :)

Clear Skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13408 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: July 2nd Noctilucent Clouds!
www.nlcnet.co.uk/images/Mckenna/07-02-03/

Check the link above to see my NLC images from last night. They are not very impressive as this was a fainter display but i just about captured them anyway....on UK NLC homepage

www.nlcnet.co.uk/nlcreps.htm

This is the recent NLC sightings in June and July.

www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/th...id=22299&posts=2

Above is a link showing more images of a smaller resolution.

All Best!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds