Help Needed - Looking for FITS Images for Eductation

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13922 by voyager
Hi Guys,

As some of you may know I am involved in E-Learning Research and in particular Astronomy based E-Learning.

I am working on setting up some sample lesson plans for teachers who will be using the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) we are developing and I need some FITS files for two of the plans. The lesson plans will be released on the net free of charge and all image authors will be credited.

I need the following images:
1) A sequence of multiple images of Saturn taken over a month that show both Saturn and Titan so that the period of Titan could be calculated.

2) A sequence of a few close up images of Jupiter showing the GRS. At least one of the images needs to have the GRS at or close to Jupiter's Meridian.

Thanks a million Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13924 by dmcdona
Hi Bart - I checked back through my images over the last year and I have nothing for either Saturn or Jupiter.

I suspect that few people (if any) on this board have imaged Saturn/Titan over the period of a month

There might be a few folks who have imaged Jupiter at the level you require...

Unfortunately, Saturn will not be available for imaging until the start of September. Jupiter may be caught now, buts its very low in the west at sunset. The next opportunity will be in December.

Are you definite on Saturn? I ask because Uranus (5 moons) and Neptune (1 moon) are well placed for imaging, weather permitting, for the next few months. Dunno if this would be a suitable substitute...

Cheers

Dave McD

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13925 by voyager

Hi Bart - I checked back through my images over the last year and I have nothing for either Saturn or Jupiter.

I suspect that few people (if any) on this board have imaged Saturn/Titan over the period of a month

There might be a few folks who have imaged Jupiter at the level you require...

Unfortunately, Saturn will not be available for imaging until the start of September. Jupiter may be caught now, buts its very low in the west at sunset. The next opportunity will be in December.

Are you definite on Saturn? I ask because Uranus (5 moons) and Neptune (1 moon) are well placed for imaging, weather permitting, for the next few months. Dunno if this would be a suitable substitute...

Cheers

Dave McD

Hi Dave, why not! I was kinda hoping for Titan because it ties in with all the hype about Cassini but any set of images that would allow the meansurement of the period of a moon/moons would work.

Bart.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13926 by kevin
Hi Bart!!. I have a jupiter image that might help you. i have sent it as a link because i dont know how to put a picture on the forum. please give feed back as well.
www.eaas.co.uk/gallery/jupiter/20050321_...t_jupiter_black.html
Name: Kevin Black
Location: Slieveman School House, Mourne Mountains, County Down, Northern Ireland
Photo Title Jupiter and it's moons
Time and Date taken: 21st March 2005 0126UT
Equipment used: Meade ETX105mm at prime focus, f/14, focal length 1470mm, 2x barlow lens and a Baader IR-cut filter(borrowed from friend and it is amazing)
Capturing device used: Meade Lunar Planetary Imager
Technical details :stacked 493 times in registax3

This is a beautiful image showing Jupiter and the 300 year old storm known as the Great Red Spot. 2 of Jupiter's many moons are visible, Io to the left and Europa to the right.

[/b]

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 2 months ago #13927 by voyager
That is a really cool image Kevin! It is almost perfect for what I need. The only possible way that image could be any better would be if the GRS was right on the center line of the planet.

Cheers,

Bart.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13929 by albertw

I am working on setting up some sample lesson plans for teachers who will be using the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) we are developing and I need some FITS files for two of the plans. The lesson plans will be released on the net free of charge and all image authors will be credited.

I dont have images, but can you just get some of the jpegs that people here have taken (if they are willing) convert to fits and fill in the headder?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds