Sky Quality Meter Review

• gnason
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #14587 by gnason
Sky Quality Meter Review was created by gnason
Now I know Al is going to enjoy this post and no doubt will devour the PDF review available from the link below and start saving his pennies (well, not too many, it's only $119.99 + shipping)! It is the first draft of a detailed independant review of the Sky Quality Meter by Pierantonio Cinzano, leader of the Italian Group responsible for the global light pollution map a few years ago.

www.inquinamentoluminoso.it/download/sqmreport.pdf

Basically, the thing works well.

Enjoy!

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #14591 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Sky Quality Meter Review

Now I know Al is going to enjoy this post and no doubt will devour the PDF review available from the link below and start saving his pennies (well, not too many, it's only $119.99 + shipping)!

Its certainly going to take me a little while to devour the science of this apparatus, there is more maths than I expected!

Thanks for the link Gordon!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 1 month ago #14592 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Sky Quality Meter Review

Now I know Al is going to enjoy this post and no doubt will devour the PDF review available from the link below and start saving his pennies (well, not too many, it's only $119.99 + shipping)!

Its certainly going to take me a little while to devour the science of this apparatus, there is more maths than I expected!

just looking through their website and it looks like they are working on a version that you could connect to a computer, now that would be interesting.
stephen.

• gnason
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #14593 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Sky Quality Meter Review

Yes, the report is not exactly easy reading! As one person put it after reading it: "except for the ocasional "and" and "the", it was totally incomprehensible"!

Now here's a quote from a professional astronomer that _may_ help a bit:

"I think I can trim this report down to a couple of statements, which are: 1) basically the thing works and the numbers that come out are "pretty good"; 2) because of the wide acceptance angle of the incoming beam (he gets 55 deg _diameter_down to 10 percent of peak sensitivity), the sky brightness value will tend to be too high since it includes stars, Milky Way, and stuff from lower elevation angles compared to a telescopic measurement of a small star-free region at the zeinth---Cinzano suggests a simple fudge-factor of perhaps a quarter of a magnitude [fainter] to make the measurements match pretty well."

Gordon

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds