New Comet

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15423 by dmcdona
New Comet was created by dmcdona
Folks - FYI. Looks clear in the East tonight if you fancy catching it... Unfortunately, Kylie has gone to bed. Or is that fortunately? :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

C/2005 P3 (SWAN) - The new comet is in UMa. Magnitude about 10.0.

This was a tough one for me because it was already low in the sky at
sunset. I imaged it down to 16 degrees elevation and quit before I
even reached astronomical darkness.

Images and supporting information at
home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

Thank you for visiting my site.

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page dpersyk.home.att.net Hampshire, IL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15424 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: New Comet
Yea thanks Dave. I seen it several nights ago as a 2-3' green, elliptical patch of light that was very diffuse (DC2) and only very slightly brighter towards the centre with no central condensation or tail. It required very good dark adaption and and a dark sky background to observe though other than that it was easy enough to find. Please let me know if you see it also.

16" F/4.5 Dobsonian reflector at 57X using a 32mm SWA 2" Meade eyepiece. Obsv made through light mist and a dark sky before the weak glow of the late rising moon appeared above the NE horizon.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15429 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: New Comet
Nice one Martin! I'll be in the US in less than 24 hours so if I get a chance, I'll take a look and let you know. Must've looked pretty cool through your whopper :lol:

Cheers

Dave

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #15436 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: New Comet
WOW Dave i hope you have a great time in the US :D

It was a very faint object in the 16" to be honest and i reckon the comet is fading fast as it leaves the sun however i will try for it again tonight but with luck there maybe another aurora visible at the same time. See www.spaceweather.com

Have a good one :wink:

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds