K-Tec

Big Solar Flare

More
19 years 1 week ago #15621 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Big Solar Flare
It seems like to me that there is a correlation between low and high activity on the sun and the weather, or is it that the weather seems to be crap no matter what happens anywhere else. :wink:

Seriously though, I think you might be right, I too was thinking the same thing a while back. It is suspected that high sunspot activity increases the average temperature while low sunspot activity induces low temperatures, is there a correlation between solar flares and sunspots ??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 week ago #15641 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Big Solar Flare
AURORA ALERT: A strong geomagnetic storm is underway, and it is causing some beautiful displays of Northern Lights

Geomagnetic and Auroral Activity Update
A strong coronal mass ejection impacted the Earth near 01:15 UTC on 11 September (9:15 pm EDT on 10 September). Periods of minor to severe geomagnetic and auroral storming is expected to commence during the next 12 to 24 hours. Storm-level conditions will persist during the next several days. A mid-latitude auroral activity Warning is active. www.spacew.com/

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
19 years 5 days ago #15713 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Big Solar Flare

It seems like to me that there is a correlation between low and high activity on the sun and the weather, or is it that the weather seems to be crap no matter what happens anywhere else. :wink:

Seriously though, I think you might be right, I too was thinking the same thing a while back. It is suspected that high sunspot activity increases the average temperature while low sunspot activity induces low temperatures, is there a correlation between solar flares and sunspots ??

here we go again folks . . . www.spaceweather.com is saying that another CME is on its way and may trigger a major aurora storm tonight (14th). Of course the (terrestrial) weather is conspiring against us again!

John

So Dave, when you got up this morning, what did you think?? :wink:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 4 days ago #15731 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Big Solar Flare
The Register have a report on this too.

A sunspot five times the size of Earth could wreak havoc with satellites and radio communication systems, scientists warn, as it moves across the face of the sun and Earth moves directly into its firing line.

Seven huge X-class flares have already erupted from the spot, including one of magnitude X17 last Wednesday that made it into the record books as the fourth largest ever seen.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that the flares have already caused problems with some electric power systems, radio communications and global positioning equipment.

It went on to warn that further flares are likely in the next week, and because the sunspot is moving into line with Earth, the risk of disruptions is even greater as the solar activity will strike the planet head-on.

The daddy of all solar flares was spotted in November 2003, and ranked X28 on the magnitude scale. Fortunately, the flare did not directly strike Earth. Even so, it did disrupt satellites, and caused some problems for the Mars Express spacecraft, which at that time was still en route to Mars.

The radiation from a flare will reach the Earth within minutes, but the charged particles associated with the event take longer to arrive, typically two days. These particles are responsible for the Auroras Borealis and Australis; the Northern and Southern lights.

These plasma storms are also responsible for interfering with power grids, TV reception, satellites and so on. In 1989 a solar flare that hit the Earth directly actually knocked out a whole power grid in Quebec

Time to dig out that solar filter that Seanie sold me :D

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
19 years 4 days ago #15733 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Big Solar Flare

Time to dig out that solar filter that Seanie sold me :D

Time for Seanie to dig out the one he made for himself!! :oops:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds