K-Tec

Major Aurora Sighting!

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 days ago #15747 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: Major Aurora Sighting!
Did ye get any photos as usual?

Ronan Newman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 days ago #15748 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Major Aurora Sighting!
We didnt get any photos last night Ronan as we did not have access to a camera but we where content enough with a visual look.

The sites are...

www.spacew.com/

www.analemma.de/english/auranews.html

To be honest i take the charts with a pinch of salt because in the past there seems to be a delay in the updates which could make an aurora a missed event if one was relying on the charts 100% without regular sky checking. However on this occasion the KP was red and at 7. The high/mid and low latitudes where in red. At about the same time www.spaceweather.com said that a geomagnetic storm was currently underway. It was short lived activity but a good burst all the same.

Hope this is of help?

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 4 days ago #15749 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Major Aurora Sighting!
Hi Martin.

Thanks for that! A poster on the Yahoo Group was wondering about the plots you were using - he was based in the UK, and didn't see anything on SAMNET to indicate any strong geomag activity. It's not unusual BTW to see aurorae during quiet geomagnetic activity - I've seen low intensity aurorae myself during such periods!

Brian

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 days ago #15750 by martinastro
Thanks for that info Brian. The negativity on his charts does and does not suprise me. i would reckon that if he got no indication of enhanced activity after that outburst then he should change his sources immediatley lol

However i have seen aurorae in the past myself that showed up on NO charts at all and i havent heard an explanation from anyone yet on why that was so. I would really love to know.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 days ago #15752 by martinastro
Any ideas Brian? maybe someone on that group could know?

Martin Mc Kenna

More
19 years 4 days ago #15753 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Major Aurora Sighting!
Thanks from comments. Yea sometimes they can be really bad!

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds