K-Tec

Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye

More
19 years 2 days ago #15783 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye
Conor - I'm not sure of the best webcam you would need or if you would need to change your current one.

However, I have a webcam (it used to be an Intel model) that I turned into something that would fit into the focusser of a scope. It worked OK but I found it bloated bright objects - like planets. But I got some reasonable lunar pics from it.

If your on a tight budget, you can have it. Its a USB device and I have the OEM software for it (ie drivers) but you'd neet to dig out whatever other software you need to take the images. I used some freeware but I don't remember what it was...

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 days ago #15786 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye
Dave that would be excellent!!! :D I wouldnt feel right taking it for nothing! And we can sort something out. So it has been modified, could i capture Aurora's on it, or would it have to be modified again?

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 2 days ago #15789 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye
Dave,

Can you tell me what model it is? I can have a look and see is it LX moddable. If its possible then I'll do it for Conor. I'm a little doubtful if it will be possible tho.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 day ago #15793 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye
Guys i couldnt find better!!! Unes are very helpful :D

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
19 years 1 day ago #15797 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye
Dave G/Conor,

the camera is the Intel Deluxe PC Camera. Well, it was until I took it apart and re-boxed it. I used the instructions from Phil Harrington's StarWare book. It might be hard to break open the unit to effect further mods but it could be possible.

Essentially, the chip and electronics are removed from the original housing, placed in a light-tight box and a 35mm film canister attached to aid insertion to a focuser. The canister is a bit a tricky to keep attached to the box - I used superglue but that seems not to be strong enough. Perhaps epoxy...

I'm not sure how it would work outside of a focuser - presumably, just the same as it did when it was in its original housing. But since the focus unit was removed during the project, it has lost the ability to focus on its own.

I also have a spare IR filter (from the Meade DSI) that should work with the unit though I never used it myself.

Could it capture an aurora? Hmm. Not sure. Others here might know. Combined with a 'scope though, it certainly captured lunar images and Jupiter's moons.

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 1 day ago #15799 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Advice Needed-All sky cam/fisheye
I use a CCTV Watec 902 H b&w camera. It picks up aurorae, fireballs and bright meteors. It also picks up stars and planets down to 3rd magnitude. The camera uses a lens of 36 degree FOV. Although this is not a true 360 degree FOV, it nevertheless has recorded the above, assuming you point it north if you want to pick up aurorae. A wider FOV lens, eg. fisheye will reduce your magnitude threshold and resolution.

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds