K-Tec

Planet-dissolving dust cloud is headed towards Earth!

• jhonan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 11 months ago #15898 by jhonan
This is fun;

tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20050912/112653720001.html

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Scared-stiff astronomers have detected a mysterious mass they've dubbed a "chaos cloud" that dissolves everything in its path, including comets, asteroids, planets and entire stars -- and it's headed directly toward Earth!

Discovered April 6 by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, the swirling, 10 million-mile- wide cosmic dust cloud has been likened to an "acid nebula" and is hurtling toward us at close to the speed of light -- making its estimated time of arrival 9:15 a.m. EDT on June 1, 2014.

I wonder what a 'scared-stiff astronomer' looks like?

The rest of the article is quite funny too. Especially the piece about evacuating Earth using a space ark.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #15899 by stepryan

This is fun;

tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20050912/112653720001.html

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Scared-stiff astronomers have detected a mysterious mass they've dubbed a "chaos cloud" that dissolves everything in its path, including comets, asteroids, planets and entire stars -- and it's headed directly toward Earth!

Discovered April 6 by NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, the swirling, 10 million-mile- wide cosmic dust cloud has been likened to an "acid nebula" and is hurtling toward us at close to the speed of light -- making its estimated time of arrival 9:15 a.m. EDT on June 1, 2014.

I wonder what a 'scared-stiff astronomer' looks like?

The rest of the article is quite funny too. Especially the piece about evacuating Earth using a space ark.

i found a link to a picture of a scared stiff astronomer. this person did not take the news too well :- . this is what happened the last time it came around. thank god for the x prize soon we will all be able to afford to escape.
stephen.

More
18 years 11 months ago #15902 by voyager
I was a little worried till I read the source of the article, the good old Weekly World news!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 11 months ago #15905 by dave_lillis
sounds like a star trek episode to me.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 11 months ago #15909 by DaveGrennan
ROFLMAO!

Actually stephen thats not a scared stiff astronomer at all. I found her on the platform at limerick junction station. Apparantly she'd been waiting for 'je traaaen ta dublin':) 47 years she'd been waiting. There were a load of trains going to some place called 'Atha Cliath' and 'Corcaigh'. Nothing to Dublin tho:(

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 11 months ago #15916 by stepryan

ROFLMAO!

Actually stephen thats not a scared stiff astronomer at all. I found her on the platform at limerick junction station. Apparantly she'd been waiting for 'je traaaen ta dublin':) 47 years she'd been waiting. There were a load of trains going to some place called 'Atha Cliath' and 'Corcaigh'. Nothing to Dublin tho:(

trains go to limerick? ;), or maybe they just leave there. it would explain alot though. i thought just the US army went there to acclimatise for iraq ;).
stephen.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds