Supernova 2005ep article

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16179 by dmcdona
Supernova 2005ep article was created by dmcdona
Folks - you may be aware that I was lucky enough to have the opportunity of providing the confirmation image for SN 2005ep (yes, that's the official name). The supernova was discovered by T. Puckett and M. Peoples in the Eastern USA last Friday.

In order to advertise the fact, not for my benefit in particular, but for the amateur community in Ireland, I wrote an article. I was thinking of doing this over the next few weeks but some folks here have asked if they could have some info for their club circulars and magazines.

So, I sat down today and hacked out a two page article with some images.

This article is freely available to anyone that want to use it. If anyone wants to reduce it to fit in their particular magazine or circular, let me know. Although the PDF file below will allow copying and pasting, I can send on the original word document for you to mess about with, as well as the full images. This will result in better quality for you.

I had hoped to take some shots of the setup I have but I completely forgot :oops: That aside, I hope you like it.

If anyone has any constructive feedback, I'd be delighted to hear it.

All the best

Dave McD

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...pernova%202005ep.pdf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16181 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Supernova 2005ep article
Very nice article Dave! Definetly well worth reading! You obviously put some time and effort into it.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16188 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Supernova 2005ep article
A good article Dave! I found it inspirational because this is happening in Ireland. I hope it helps other enthusiastic astronomers here to follow suit.

I remember helping an enthusiastic amateur Tom Sullivan from Kerry back in the early 90s over a period in devising a strategy in detecting supernovae. He originally started with Thompsons card set of galaxies. This is a collection of cards with each galaxy identified. Unfortunately he was hooked by marriage, so their were other more important resposibilities to observe.

The UK have a Supernova/Nova programme that has been going for some time. There are a handful of amateurs that are dedicated to finding them. Their is excellent cooperation between the UK amateurs.

I think it would be possible to set up a Supernova/nova programme here.

Eamonn A

More
18 years 11 months ago #16199 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Supernova 2005ep article
Excellent article Dave which i enjoyed very much!

I also think that a SN search programme should begin immediatley from Ireland as well as a continuing role in new object confirmation, photometry and astrometry.

Ireland should be getting in on the act without hesitation. Dave i see your confirmation image as a catalyst for further SN discovery/confirmation and even NEO follow up. I know this trend will continue by yourself and other observers with an appropriate set up. What are we waiting for?

clear skies :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 11 months ago #16205 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Supernova 2005ep article
I whole heartily agree with you Martin.

A group effort for supernova hunting could work by slicing up sectors of the sky, each sector with known galaxies. Chances of success are higher than one person doing the whole sky during the night.

The same goes for nova hunting. The japanese for many years have applied this method, look at the success they have had. The UK have done the same with success.

I think if one knows who is interested, their capabilities, instrumentation, etc, this will determine the potential for working on aspects, like supernovae, novae, asteroids. Time is the essence for immediate back up confirmation in imaging, astrometry, photometry and even spectroscopy by others that can be contacted from a list. A network of observers can be set up within one of the programmes.

In spectroscopy, with all the supernovae that are discovered, most of the spectroscopy is done by the professionals. In spectroscopy, you don't need an optically accurate optics. Long exposures with a medium telescope would result in a spectra that can reach supernova mags.

In astrometry, you'll need an accurate mount applying one of the USNO catalogues software package inserted as a comparison for precise positions.

In photometry, AIP4Win could be applied where it selects comparison stars to determine magnitudes.

A list of IFAS astronomers, instrumentation, etc, whom are seriously interested. The next Whirlpool Star Party conference may be a good starting point to meet up for those who want to start this programme.

Eamonn A

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16213 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Supernova 2005ep article
Folks - a couple of things:

1. I'd encourage all clubs and readers of these boards to send out the article to generate enthusiasm. I have no personal agenda here by the way - you can edit the article as you see fit. But getting the message out might be the catalyst as Martin points out.

2. It would be great if we can get something going here - I'd be happy to be a part of some kind of group effort in the hunt for any kind of astronomical objects that take our fancy.

3. As Eamonn poits out, Whirlpool would be great way to get the discussion going. I'll be there Saturday with my pen and paper :)

Cheers

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds