Lunatic Atmospherics!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #16674 by martinastro
Lunatic Atmospherics! was created by martinastro
At 00.10LT last night i observed a selection of stunning atmospheric phenomena around the waxing gibbous moon which at the time was 23* above the SW horizon. Surrounding the moon was a 60* wide 5* thick very bright Halo that was almost a complete 360* except its southern section was below the horizon. The halo had a bright red fringe on the inside while its outer edge was a lovely blue/white colour.

Placed on the Halo at 30* to the east and west of the moon i saw to very bright moondogs (Paraselena) that looked like two bright white patches of light. As i watched one would dim in real time and the other would brighten then the reverse would happen. At one stage the east dog brightened, became strongly condensed, elongated horizontaly and grew a tail which is the first time i have seen a Lunar Parhelic Circle!!!!

As if this was not enough i could see a stunningly bright Upprer Tangent Arc with 'horns' that curved upwards (another first). Connecting this to the moon was a 30* tall lunar pillar. All of these phenomena where visible at the same time and combined with the colours it was a sight to behold!!! Pity i had no camera.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16679 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Lunatic Atmospherics!
WOW ... that sounds like one hell of an observing session!

I've only seen a moondog once and it was only one but it was well cool. I'ver never managed ot catch a tangential arc to the sun let alone to the moon, well done!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #16683 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Lunatic Atmospherics!
Thanks Voyager...they are really cool :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds