K-Tec

About Astronomy in Education - and courses

More
18 years 11 months ago #16765 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: About Astronomy in Education - and courses
Seanie,
A good starting point would be to get yourself a copy of the book called "Universe". It's the defacto book for teaching astronomy in the UK. It's expensive at approx Stg£50 but when you see it, you'll know why. It's about 400 A4size pages, all in colour, chock full of illustrations and photos along with some excellent text. I can't praise the book highly enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16767 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: About Astronomy in Education - and courses
Did a check just now...it's actually around 700pages.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16782 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: About Astronomy in Education - and courses

I don't know... Once you are up front and honest with your prospective students that what you know has been learnt the hard way from cold nights and not from college I cant see the problem....
....Perhaps taking a teaching course might be a better option. The Irish Science Teachers Association might be able to give you some pointers.

Thanks Al, thats a good point. I'm a better believer in experience over qualifications (if they outweigh qualifications). That sounds like a good place to start, as I may not need to study then!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 11 months ago #16784 by eansbro
Seannie, like yourself I wanted to learn more about astronomey so I plunged myself into a distant learning Masters degree in Astronomy through University of Western Sydney, Australia. They no longer have this degree offer and in fact most of the astronomers left to go to James Cook University (JCU) Australia. JCU are offering a certs/degrees in astronomy now through distant learning, something like what Albert is doing at Swimbourne. I was offered to do a PhD in astronomy, but I turned it down because the astronomers did not do any planetary science. So I was acceped by the Planetary Space Science Research Institute in the UK. I am about nearly halfway through the programme. Probably like yourself I have a business to run, all this is in my spare time.

Although I learnt alot through doing the Masters, I would recommend it as a really good foundation in all aspects of astronomy/astrophysics. I have had to initiate and carry out all the research doing the PhD, only meeting supervisors twice a year. I wouldn't recommend going this route unless you are really interested in research and not teaching.

But hey! if you just want to teach astronomy, and with your science background, you really don't need another degree. Their are some wonderful books for teaching. If you need any help regarding recommended books for teaching astronomy let us know.

Eamonn A

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 11 months ago #16795 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: About Astronomy in Education - and courses
Seanie, if you check www.nightclasses.ie you can see that there are eight different astronomy night classes on around the country, now i know there are more just not mentioned there. Contact your local VEC or wherever in your locality night courses are going on.We are talking basic astronomy that most people on these boards could easily teach, and you even get paid aswell for it, so you have nothing to loose. I was suprised to hear of the amount of interest in the hobby and of people wishing to learn it and that is the reason a night class was announced. Someone else turned down the invitation to teach it but i took them up on the offer. Not for the money but like you for the pure enjoyment of teaching young and old and introducing to the wonders of the Cosmos.

Ronan Newman

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 11 months ago #16809 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: About Astronomy in Education - and courses
Eamonn - thanks for that. I know to do the kind of work you do now, a serious approach must be taken. While I like to read about the tough stuff being done by ohers, with my lifestyle it would not be feasible for me to consider a Masters and the like.
However, study on a more enthusiasts front is more my cup of tea. Astronomy is my hobby. And I'd like to teach it to other lesser informed enthusiasts.

Ronan - checking out that site. Nothing so far near me. :(

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds