K-Tec

Current dues?

More
18 years 10 months ago #17214 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Current dues?

Yes a club does need to get voted in but if memory serves it can be done "online" by the committee and not just at face to face meetings (of which there are two each year one at Cosmos in March and one at the Whilrpool in September, there is none at Conaught SP).

Yep, I've taken to having votes online now. The rules for voting and quorum etc. are the same as ever but with almost all club reps on these boards it makes more sence to work this way. The AGM and face to face meetings at the star parties will still go ahead obviously.

As for membership the constitution says:

Article 3: Membership

* Membership shall be open to amateur astronomical societies in the island of Ireland which are governed by a democratically elected council or committee, subject to the approval of the Council. For the purposes of the Federation, Societies includes Clubs and Associations.
* Applications for membership shall be submitted in writing, giving the details which may be requested, to the Council of the Federation for approval.

The first point is usually delat with by having some form of constitution that lays down how the club is governed. Perhaps the KAS folks can elaborate on thier constitution being the newest club formed?

As for the second point, an email to me counts as 'in writing' for this purpose.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17215 by albertw

Perhaps the KAS folks can elaborate on thier constitution being the newest club formed?

Ah here it is, which you may like consider using as 'inspiration'[1] for your own

kildareastronomy.com/KAS%20CONSTITUTION%20Rev%20TM.pdf

Cheers,
~Al

[1] A word used in UCD society guidelines for "copy verbatem someone elses constitution, but please remember to change _all_ references to the socities name!" :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 10 months ago #17216 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: Current dues?
Thanks for the info, guys (particularly to Al & KAS for their "inspiration").

I don't know if the Drogheda Astronomy Club wants to be that "formal" (ie: dues, a charter, officers and all) or not, but at least now we've got the info to discuss when next we meet.

Thanks,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
18 years 10 months ago #17217 by albertw
Hi,

Thanks for the info, guys (particularly to Al & KAS for their "inspiration").

I don't know if the Drogheda Astronomy Club wants to be that "formal" (ie: dues, a charter, officers and all) or not, but at least now we've got the info to discuss when next we meet.

There are clubs that have a very relaxed view to these things also, and all IFAS requires is that the club is dmocratically ran. Feel free to drop me a mail if you want to discus things further, it would be great to have you on board.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 10 months ago #17220 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Current dues?
It would be great to have another IFAS club.
Once you're democratically run, I dont think you will have any problems.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #17226 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Current dues?
Jeff,
as the others said, it would be nice to have you guys on board! There is so much your club could offer, and in turn take what you need from what is offered here, and at the same time remain as independant and unique as you always were (as a club etc).

There is no buying or selling of any kind (like a fanatical religious group!), and the only obligation you have is to help like-minded stronomers!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds