• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17269 by martinastro
German Glow + Sister's Nebula was created by martinastro
Hi all

The clouds broke late last night revealing a lovely dark sky. I was busy observing Mars and decided to take a break away from the eyepiece to scan the sky with the naked eye. At 01.00 local time i made my very first sighting of the Gegenschein!!!! It was located in a region of sky between Cetus, Pisces and Aries. It looked like a faint mild green patch of light at least 10 * in diameter that was barely brighter than the background sky, it was slightly elongated in a horizontal direction. I held it with direct vision for a considerable time untill clouds arrived on the scene and washed it out.

Then with the 8" LX10 F/10 SCT at 77X i glimpsed the Merope nebula (NGC1435) in M45. It took up half the FOV of the low power eyepiece and looked like a grey elongated strip pointing down to the SW of that star. It looked a little like a comet tail. What a night, it was only clear for 1/2 an hour and i got to see two treasures i have always wanted to see. Great session!! :D

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17297 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: German Glow + Sister's Nebula
Nice!

I don't think I've heard of anyone else ever seeing the Gegenschein before, well done!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17301 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: German Glow + Sister's Nebula
Thanks very much.

I have just seen it again last night....looked even better in a better sky.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 10 months ago #17304 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: German Glow + Sister's Nebula

Nice!

I don't think I've heard of anyone else ever seeing the Gegenschein before, well done!

Bart.

Some of us in TAS were not sure if we saw it about 6 years ago from a members house in the country. Roughly overhead if I remember, but detached from the visible Milky Way. It was in the beginning of December too.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17309 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: German Glow + Sister's Nebula
Last night i seen it from 23.20 local time until clouds blocked out before dawn. It was a large green oval patch 15 degrees in diameter located between Aries, Cetus Pisces not far west of brillant Mars. The Gegenschein blocked out the fainter naked eye stars in that area!!! It had very sharp edges was easy to see when you know when and were to look. I watched it for most of the night during a meteor watch ( report will be up shortly) and it was amazing.

What annoyed me though was the statement in various books and sites that says it cannot be seen from 'suburban areas' and 'cannot be seen these days due to light pollution'. This is the 2nd night in a row i have seen it with the town lights of Maghera to the south and trans 7-8/10. The sky was dark but not up to its usual excellent standard. If you are clear this weekend..have a look.

All best everyone and clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds