• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17550 by martinastro
Aurora Activity Tonight! was created by martinastro
Hi all

The sky is covered with very light clouds here with periodic small gaps however at 23.25 it cleared up well for around 2 mins and i spotted an Aurora in the NW - N sky sector. It was a green band over 40* long with dark sky below it between the aurora and local horizon. It was 7* tall and i glimpsed one green vertical ray forming. I rang Conor and he set up the camera and tripod for images but the sky suddenly clouded over again. We waited for some time but it never cleared so we have no images to share yet. Activity still seems to be ongoing.... my 60th Aurora!

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17551 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Aurora Activity Tonight!
As Seanie as noted before, .....always on a cloudy night!
It's starting to get a tad frustrating! :evil: It just isn't funny any more!

By the way Martin, cheerful little note at the end of your signiture :D

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17552 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Aurora Activity Tonight!
LOL yea it is very cheerful isnt it. :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 10 months ago #17570 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Aurora Activity Tonight!

As Seanie as noted before, .....always on a cloudy night!
It's starting to get a tad frustrating! :evil: It just isn't funny any more!

And I'll say it again! There was some rain efore I went to work at 11pm, and it was bucketing from the heavens at 3am...

Sarcastically Martin, I'm a bit dubious as to whether you actually see these aurorae... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17581 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Aurora Activity Tonight!
lol ....yea i understand how you feel, if it had stayed cleare for 2 more mins then we would of had an image to share with you. Maybe tonight or the next night? a solar wind stream should be impacting around this time...

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds