K-Tec

HELP!

More
18 years 10 months ago #17576 by KSTAR
HELP! was created by KSTAR
I am a complete novist at this so please excuse my ignorance. My husband has shown an interest in the stars recently so I thought I may get him a beginers telescope for Xmas. I know absolutely nothing about them so could anyone recommend a good starter but at a low price?
I have seen a Tasco Galaxsee 375 Reflector Telescope for about £90.00. Would this be a good one to start of with?

Hope someone cn help me as I feel a bit desperate. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17577 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: HELP!
What ever you do DON'T buy a cheap telescope, that is the perfect way to destroy some one's interest in Astronomy!

Those cheap Tasco telescopes are so useless that you would see more by just looking up!

The best way to start at Astronomy is with a good pair of Binoculars, ideally a pair of 10x50mm (10 times magnification, 50mm lenses) binocualrs and a good book on binocular astronomy to go with them. You should easily be able to get that for £90 and perhaps even a tri-pod to make the binoculars easier to use too.

Best of luck,

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 10 months ago #17578 by KSTAR
Replied by KSTAR on topic Re: HELP!
Thanks for that - I've just had a quick look on the web and there are thousands of different types and prices - and makes.

Could you recommend anything in particular or any websites that I can visit?

More
18 years 10 months ago #17579 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: HELP!
You could wait for a while and see if Lidl or Aldi offer another telescope. I can't remember how much the Skylux telescope was going for but I remember it was bargain, and pretty close to your price range. You'd need to be there early though- the folks on these boards and elsewhere snap them up pretty quickly!!! :)

IFAS web team

More
18 years 10 months ago #17580 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: HELP!

Thanks for that - I've just had a quick look on the web and there are thousands of different types and prices - and makes.

Could you recommend anything in particular or any websites that I can visit?

I'm not an expert on this but I know from experience that the Meade 10x50 binoculars are great, I bought a few pairs for our local astronomy club over the summer and they are truely excellent.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 10 months ago #17582 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: HELP!

Those cheap Tasco telescopes are so useless that you would see more by just looking up!

Thats a bit harsh Bart! I still have a TASCO 3" reflector Santa got for me about 13 years ago. Tasco are not a brilliant brand, but they are by no means the worst either KSTAR.

You could wait for a while and see if Lidl or Aldi offer another telescope. I can't remember how much the Skylux telescope was going for but I remember it was bargain

If it doesn't happen by the first week of December, then it won't happen at all. Thats how it happened the 2 years previous. I bought the Skylux 70mm refractor (€65) from Lidl, and it was brilliant. I sold it on after a year, and bought an ETX-70. The ETX-70 was also sold in Lidl last year for €170, but its possible it won't be this year, as rumour had it last year that Meade were phasing out the ETX-70.

Binoculars are a great start, but if he has had any use of them astronomically before, and WILL really get into the hobby after Christmas KSTAR, then get him a scope! But you might have to go mail order. Buy and Sell etc is all well and good for bargains, but don't forget, there's practically no warranty. Have a look in the Links section for 'local' UK retailers of scopes.

But don't completely dismiss the Tasco you saw! (try Argos).

Seanie.

PS Welcome to the Boards!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds