K-Tec

HELP!

More
18 years 10 months ago #17584 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: HELP!
KSTAR,
just had a look at your profile - you're in Cornwall! Heck, you can get any scope you want over there from those UK retailers I mentioned in the Links forum, and you'll be getting a great deal!

Over here, we have to worry about shipping etc. Plus, your Lidls are not syncronised with our Lidls, so who knows if either of us are going to get those scopes or not.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17585 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: HELP!
Just be carefull when you go for a telescope, make sure you know what to expect when you look through it, there is nothing more disheartening then looking through your expensive newly purchased telescope and seeing a very underwhelming image.
I'd recommend you go to your local astronomy club, get a look through ther scopes if possible, they would have local knowledge of the shops in your area and where to avoid.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #17599 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: HELP!
KSTAR - give South West Optics a call - they're in Truro. 01782 263 444

If you look down the very end of this page:

www.swoptics.co.uk/query.asp?raw=display...name&title=Meade

they've got a Meade Refractor, ex demo, for 200 quid. And you get free delivery. You'd be saving about a hundred quid. And its a grand scope with GOTO - you tell the scope what you want to look at and it'll go there.

Binoculars are always a good choice but you need to learn the sky and begin to learn where to look for what. Depends how good the hubbies patience threshold is...

The scope above would be a really good first choice scope - if he gets into it he can do the research and see what he wants next - bigger is better dontcha know :wink:

Cheers

Dave

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #17664 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: HELP!
KSTAR,

I think the scope that DaveMcD recommended in the last post sounds just right for your husband. ALthough dont discount the binocular idea. Couple a pair of binocs with a copy of 'Exploring the night sky with binoculars" by Sir Patrick Moore.

I have to disagree with Seanie, tasco have destroyed too many peoples interst in astronomy for my liking. Their optics are poor, their mountings unsteady. Stick to the binocs or the scope Dave mentioned in the last post. You know he's worth it:)

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #17672 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: HELP!

I have to disagree with Seanie, tasco have destroyed too many peoples interst in astronomy for my liking. Their optics are poor, their mountings unsteady.

Guess I just got lucky ith mine I guess! Though the mount did deteriorate later on, I did remake it myself. Though, I would think their mountstoday to be more better designed and all that, considering they are all equatorial ones now...

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17683 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: HELP!
Sorry Seanie, I'm with Dave G on this one! Tasco are DEFINATELY a NO NO!
I was given one for Christmas a few years ago, and you can see practically nothing through it, unless it's VERY bright in the sky.

Definately wouldn't rule out binoculars. I'm currently doing all my observing with binos and there's plenty to see. Like Dave McD said, you have to start learning the night sky, but you have to do that with a telescope too, unless of course, it's a GOTO, (personally I think the GOTOs take the fun out of it!)

P.S.
Seanie, when did you last check out a Argos catalogue? They don't do Tascos any more, they do Celestron :D , and a National Geographic????:?.........

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds