K-Tec

when is the next big star party in ireland?

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #17609 by fguihen
hi. i am new to astronomy. i have been using a borrowed telescope and i want to get my own. i want to get to a large star party or meeting with lots of telescopes so i get to try a few and get some practical hands on knowledge from experts. i have a good idea what i want but i just want to have a go at using it to make sure its worth the investment. as you know living in ireland, its tough to get a go at a telescope before its bought, being very few telescope stores. looking to get the SkyView Proâ„¢ 127mm Mak-Cass, found here

www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detai...&iProductID=5243

but i want to get a go at it at some stage before i buy it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17610 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: when is the next big star party in ireland?
hi fguihen,

welcome to the hobby!

the next star party is Galway's at the end of January (details on their web site which is via the link on the right-hand side of the front page of this board). Ronan might post up the details as I don't have the exact date to hand (down home in Tipp tonight!).

one of the best ways to try out scopes is to source a club local to where you live and go along to a star party where members will have various binoculars and telescopes to view the night sky. The Arcturus magazine pdf recently posted up to the board has a page listing IFAS member clubs and their contact details. What part of the country are you in btw? In Dublin there's a gang of us who regularly go out to the Wicklow Mountains to observe.

all the best,

John

• galwayskywatchers
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #17623 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: when is the next big star party in ireland?
John,
The 3rd Connacht Star Party is on January 28th 2006, Day will be of mixed topics as opposed to a theme of latter years. Details of speakers after Christmas.

Ronan Newman
Galway Astronomy Club

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #17640 by fguihen
hi. i live in Co Roscommon. the nearest club is Sligo, but i cant find contact info for it as it doesnt have a web site. Il prob wait for the one in Janurary. i wont have the money for my scope until then anyway. thanks for your help all

More
18 years 10 months ago #17642 by Macros42
Whereabouts in Roscommon are you? I'm going to be heading down that direction (near Rooskey) for a long weekend in the next few weeks and you'd be welcome to come over and try out my scope.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
18 years 10 months ago #17644 by eansbro
Hi Fintan,

We were in communication the other day. The Sligo club is defunct. It has been defunct for the last 3 years. So I am surprised that this club is still on the IFAS list. The nearest club is in Galway. There will be a new society in the new year in Mayo. So that will probably be your nearest when that is established.

I have a telscope that you can use visually. Your most welcome if you want to try it out. It is the same size as your borrowed 5 inch newtonian. It is a 5 inch MakNewt. Excellent resolution. I would recommend it. Its actually better that the 4 inch Japanese tach refractor at a third of the price.

Eamonn A

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds