Firdays Observing Session!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17668 by martinastro
Firdays Observing Session! was created by martinastro
The sky cleared up well from here on friday night . I got one hours comet hunting done with the 16" then Conor and i did a meteor watch from 21.00 - 05.00LT where we logged 60 meteors...most of which where Taurids and a few sporadics and Leonids. On two occasions we seen a burst of three Taurids in quick session as well as a few bright members of the stream through light clouds though we seen no fireballs (maybe tommorow). The Gegenschein was visible in the east beside Mars which itself sported a lovely faint 5* high pillar (my first Mars pillar). This meteor watch was tough at times due to the very cold damp air but we perserved and had a good time. We even had a radio out with us lol!

Conor took many images of the sky in search of meteors however broken clouds often reaked havoc with the exposures. Clouds + drizzle ended the session before dawn. It was a great nights observing!!! We where observing for more than 9 hours without a break.

When i went in i spent 2 hours searching for comets on the SOHO LASCO images. I noticed a beautiful known comet with stubby tail on the C2 images and found a new suspect on the C3 images. I decided id better get some sleep at 07.00. What a great way to spend a friday night!

Clear skies all

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17688 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I'll bet you boys are still trying to warm up :D
It's getting rough at this time of year, but I admire your persistance, especially when you don't have work the next day!
I love those long sessions, but the weather is going to be crap again this week :(

Keith..

More
18 years 10 months ago #17698 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Firdays Observing Session!
aw dont talk Keith its bloody freezing!! :lol:
Aw well its not so bad when your watching metoers and moving also the hot cuppa in the flask goes to about 3am :D

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
18 years 10 months ago #17724 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
A bar of chocolate at 4am goes a long way too!!!!! :D :D

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds