K-Tec

Pre-Dawn Meteor Watch!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #17997 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Pre-Dawn Meteor Watch!
I completed a meteor watch this morning before dawn from 04.10 - 06.03 local time from a nearby pitch that gave me a good view of all the compass points in the sky. It was very cold, calm, quiet, dark. the waxing gibbous moon had set in the west, i had some patchy grey slow, south drifting clouds but nothing threatening. trans = 7-8, seeing= 7 with low level murk.

Overall i logged 34 meteors most of which where Taurids, Leonids and even 1 Monocerotid. The Taurids seem to be dropping in activity lately however the Leonids have been picking up nicely, i observed some very bright members which left glowing ion trains in there wake that lasted for several seconds. The Leonids are supposed to be the fastest meteors in the sky however i seen a bright red sporadic travel from S-N at a speed that put the Leonids to shame..it was of such high velocity that i cannot find words to describe..amazing sight!

I heard geese calling in the quiet sky and heard the beating of wings pushing through air, scanning the sky i spotted a formation of 9 geese in 'NIKE' formation with there bellies and wings lit gold by the street lights. This was a nice treat and made the session feel very special.

I seen a strange object travel from N - S quite slowly across the sky that i took to be space debris or a decaying satellite. The sat was perhaps mag 6 but seemed almost invisibe in high level cloud/mist however periodically it flared to the mag of Jupiter perhaps every 10 seconds.. a very slow tumbler that looked like a sudden flash in the sky out of nowhere, the flash duration was approx 1 - 2 sec. I had a quick look with the NE before i ended the session and checked Corona Borealis and could see that the variable star RCrB was behaving itself at mag 6.0 and the recurrent Nova TCrB was not visible so it hasnt experienced a come back yet (hurry up T) from mag 10. Good session. In the late evening i found this to be the most difficult sky check i have had this Autumn, the cold temp and the wind chill simply froze me..it was really bitter and battle to even stay out for 5 mins to check the sky...anybody else experience this?

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds