• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #18179 by martinastro
November Atmospherics! was created by martinastro
Got a very nice show this after noon...

Uppert Tangent Arc 22* north of sun with section of 22* halo..

tinypic.com/fth735.jpg

tinypic.com/fth74o.jpg

Sundog 22* west of sun 7* tall...

tinypic.com/fth79v.jpg

Sundog 22* east of sun..

tinypic.com/fth7bn.jpg

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #18196 by whyulittle
Replied by whyulittle on topic Re: November Atmospherics!
You seem to be the man to ask about this Martin.

A few weeks back, I was walking in town and I saw the sun behind some clouds. However when I turned a corner and opened up some more of the sky, I saw that the sun was actually alot more to the right than where I had thought! It looked as if there were two suns in the sky!

I took some photos on my phone but they don't really do it justice, and I can't transfter them at the minute as the IR port won't work.

It wasn't like there was a hole in the cloud with a ray shining through it. As I said, it was actually shining behind the cloud. Any ideas??

More
18 years 10 months ago #18198 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: November Atmospherics!

You seem to be the man to ask about this Martin.

A few weeks back, I was walking in town and I saw the sun behind some clouds. However when I turned a corner and opened up some more of the sky, I saw that the sun was actually alot more to the right than where I had thought! It looked as if there were two suns in the sky!

I took some photos on my phone but they don't really do it justice, and I can't transfter them at the minute as the IR port won't work.

It wasn't like there was a hole in the cloud with a ray shining through it. As I said, it was actually shining behind the cloud. Any ideas??

That is a text-book example of a sundog. For more details checkout: www.sundog.clara.co.uk/halo/parhelia.htm

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #18200 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: November Atmospherics!
Yip it sounds like you seen a bright 'mocksun' or sundog. The bright ones can look like a 2nd sun in the sky...nice sighting!

Thanks

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 10 months ago #18209 by whyulittle
Replied by whyulittle on topic Re: November Atmospherics!
Cool, thanks lads!

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds