Camera Help

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #18792 by martinastro
Camera Help was created by martinastro
Does anybody know if the Fuji S5600 digital camera has long expsoure capability? I read it can do 15 seconds and it has manual settings so does this mean that a longer exposure can be got from this camera?

Also can anybody suggest a good digital camera for astrophotography in the £220.00 price range or a place that sells second hand equipment?

I intend to use the camera for auroras, meteors, milkyway shots etc. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #18844 by whyulittle
Replied by whyulittle on topic Re: Camera Help
Related question. Is there any trick to stop your camera lens fogging up during long exposure shots?

More
18 years 9 months ago #18848 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Camera Help

Related question. Is there any trick to stop your camera lens fogging up during long exposure shots?

Use a lens hood. Or if you dont have one just make one from cardboard and fit it around the lens. For wide angle lenses this can be problematic because you have to keep the card out of the field of view, which can be so wide that the lens still will get fogged easily. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 9 months ago #18849 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Camera Help

Use a lens hood. Or if you dont have one just make one from cardboard and fit it around the lens. For wide angle lenses this can be problematic because you have to keep the card out of the field of view, which can be so wide that the lens still will get fogged easily. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
~Al

basically, a homemade dew shield.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #18863 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Martin, my honest opinion, I know you're tempted, but 15seconds exposure is really limited to all but the brightest objects. I myself would not go for it - i'd keep my hard earned cash, I have a canon powershot A75, this was my 1st camera with a 15 sec exposure time, I was happy with it, but if you're serious, try for a dslr if you can, you definitely won't look back!!!!

If you're happy wih Aurora's/moonlit/twighlight shots then - fine, but 15 seconds with meteors really does'nt work - unless you're really lucky, i think the time is too short.

Sorry for my (harsh) opinion, but a longer exposure cannot be got if it states only 15seconds. Keep the cash.
15 seconds with the Milyway, even at the highest ISO setting will be poor, just not enough time, and probably lots of noise too, I think you will be disappointed :(
Just my 2 cents....
Keith..

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #18871 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Camera Help
Thanks for your honesty Keith :)

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds