Todays Rainbow

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #18819 by martinastro
Todays Rainbow was created by martinastro
Just caught this rainbow in the middle of a very heavy shower (with sleet) and gales...

tinypic.com/hs5dw3.jpg

tinypic.com/hs5e1h.jpg

tinypic.com/hs5e2b.jpg

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #18824 by LUNAtic
Replied by LUNAtic on topic Re: Todays Rainbow
Nice pictures Martin. You got me thinking when you mentioned sleet - would a rainbow form in pure hail or snow? Would the hail particles or snowflakes defract the light similarly or would they be too opaque? Would there be sufficient water vapour to do so regardless of solid water???

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #18827 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Todays Rainbow
Very good question and i dont know the answer to it lol however the abundance of ice crystals in the atmosphere might produce some great complex haloes and sundogs around the sun! Will have to watch out for 'snow bows' then. Watch for moon bows at night!

The weather is getting very viscious with gales and the temp is droping fast here and some interesting high level clouds that might produce nice atmospherics so i will keep an eye out for further activity. Looks like we are gonna get hit hard with winds and snow... :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 9 months ago #18830 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Todays Rainbow

Nice pictures Martin. You got me thinking when you mentioned sleet - would a rainbow form in pure hail or snow? Would the hail particles or snowflakes defract the light similarly or would they be too opaque? Would there be sufficient water vapour to do so regardless of solid water???

Snow refelcts light so I can't see how it could produce a rainbow. Mind you it could cause some effects by back-scattering. Hail is neither opaque or reflective so I don't see how it could do any cool stuff with light. Mind you I could be talking rubbish!

BB

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 9 months ago #18832 by MarkCahill
Replied by MarkCahill on topic Re: Todays Rainbow
Neil,

Here is a good site for information on atmospheric effects:

www.sundog.clara.co.uk/atoptics/phenom.htm

Martin,

Here is a rainbow I saw about 3 weeks ago.

tinypic.com/hs5o2a.jpg
tinypic.com/hs5o4m.jpg

More
18 years 9 months ago #18833 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Todays Rainbow
Robert Greenler's "Rainbows, Halos, and Glories" has a picture on the front cover of a rainbow over a snow-covered landscape. It's a "trick" question though when he asks how could such a rainbow form; just out of shot is the spray from Niagra Falls and it's sunlight shining through these droplets that is creating the bow.

with sleety rain you could get a rainbow but never with a snowfall . . . the physical properties of the flakes mean they could not act like tiny prisms to split light into its constituent colours. A book I picked up recently is "The Snowflake: Winter's Secret Beauty", which has wonderful photographs of the complex symmetry of snowflakes.

speaking of rainbows, I noticed one recently just 10 metres away. It was in front of an advertising hoarding so the rain droplets were falling very close by.

John

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds