• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19204 by ftodonoghue
Sky Charts... was created by ftodonoghue
Hi Guys

Need your help again, if you do not mind. I am thinking of getting some charts for field use. I am wondering what might suit me best, givin that...
I reckon I am at beginner/intermediate level
I have an 8" dob
I want the charts to be simple and uncluttered, yet be useful when trying to track down interesting objects.
I am thinking of sky atlas 2000 (S&T) but am wondering will this serve me well for the next few years,

Is there something that you guys can recommend. Thanks again

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19205 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Sky Charts...
Sky Atlas 2000 is what i use and i highly reccommend it. Its very good in the field but make sure to purchase the bounded editions.

Good luck :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 9 months ago #19213 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Sky Charts...
have a look at the front page of www.cloudynights.com Trevor. A little over half-way down the page is a link to a Magnitude 7 printed atlas that can be downloaded . . . for free! Excellent work by the author.

scanning the deep-sky forum of the Cloudy Nights board you'll find mention of other atlases free to download as pdfs. The threads are "sticky's" at the top of the first page in each sub section. There's a huge amount of material there for any observer.

the Webb Society have a very good star atlas which would be much cheaper than Sky Atlas 2000. Link to them is www.webbsociety.freeserve.co.uk/ . . . I guess you can never have enough star atlases. :D

atb,

John

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19215 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Sky Charts...
Hi guys

thanks a million for your help as always, I think I will have a look at some of the free charts first and see how I go.

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 9 months ago #19216 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Sky Charts...
. . . I see one of the moderators of the Binocular Forum on Cloudy Nights has just added up a list of 100 deep sky objects for big binoculars. Again, a fine list of objects to observe.

John

More
18 years 9 months ago #19220 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Sky Charts...

have a look at the front page of www.cloudynights.com Trevor. A little over half-way down the page is a link to a Magnitude 7 printed atlas that can be downloaded . . . for free! Excellent work by the author.

I can't find this one - anyone got a direct link?

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds