K-Tec

shanghai nightsky

More
18 years 9 months ago #19345 by nosmo
shanghai nightsky was created by nosmo
good evening -
I see in an earlier post some comments from an amatuer chinese astronomer which prompts me to send this infomail.
I am in shanghai, china at present and have been here since wednesday. Tonight i saw the first glimpse of stars for a few minutes; apparently an effect of the temperature drop tonight. So far i havent seen the sun at all in daylight due to a combination of the dry weather/dust from soil and industrial pollution. Permanent mist and smog limit visibility to some hundred metres.
So for you persons who brave the oncoming winter climate to view on crisp cold evenings and nights in ireland - feel priveleged because you are.
When you get frustrated and wish you were in the locality of arizona desert for better conditions - reflect on the good fortune that positions you where you are now. Be happy.
And consider the challenges facing the local counterparts here who wish to pursue this hobby in any serious way. Not much chance i think.
Tom Cruise is in town making Mission Impossible 5 or whatever number - very apt.
Different worlds.

Nosmo king

Whatever you say, say nothin'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19356 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: shanghai nightsky
In our wish to be in a place more suitable for astronomy, we often forget that there are places actually worse then here for astronomy.
Im abit shocked that the "smog" limits the visibility to a few hundred meters, reminds me stories about the pea soup smogs of the 19th centuary.
Thats progress for you.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #19369 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I've heard of the smog in asian cities, but is it really that bad?? I suppose it's a sign of the age we live in, no regard for the environment, but I do hope you get to see the sun tomorrow :D

Keith..

More
18 years 9 months ago #19378 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: shanghai nightsky

In our wish to be in a place more suitable for astronomy, we often forget that there are places actually worse then here for astronomy.
Im abit shocked that the "smog" limits the visibility to a few hundred meters, reminds me stories about the pea soup smogs of the 19th centuary.
Thats progress for you.

Aye but then again, check out the view from Eric Ng's observatory:

www.ort.cuhk.edu.hk/ericng/webcam/equip.htm

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 9 months ago #19389 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: shanghai nightsky
maybe Eric should move over to the taller building, imagine all the lights from those tower blocks, it must be a pain, all the same he has fab images of the planets.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #19402 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: shanghai nightsky
Well now I value what few crisp clear nights I get a year!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds