Great Comet of 1680

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #19826 by Paul FitzGerald
Great Comet of 1680 was created by Paul FitzGerald
Martinastro's couple of lines at the end of his signature about the comet of 1680 just reminded me to tell any of you who like art history to get along to the National Gallery on Clare St., Dublin.

The exhibition currently on display is called Northern Nocturnes and features works on night scene by Alsheimer, Rubens & Rembrandt, brought together in Irl. for the 1st time.

There are a couple of paintings currently on view there which depict the passing of The Great Comet of Dec. 1680 - Jan. 1681.

These are quite unique, as while comets were regarded as forebearers of a catastrophy, naked eye comets were so rare that they rarely featured in night scene paintings.

Also on display is a highly regarded painting depicting the Plough and the Milky Way in the background. It is thought that this may be the 1st to do so.

The exhibition ends on Sunday.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19830 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Great Comet of 1680
many thanks for that Paul . . . I'd be VERY interested to see that exhibition.

for anyone interested in the topic of art and astronomy, a book I recommend is "Fire in the Sky: Comets and Meteors, the Decisive Centuries, in Art and Science" by Roberta Olsen and Jay Pasachoff. It's a very detailed account of the depiction by artists, Punch magazine cartoons, etc. of these fleeting visitors to our skies. Also, Carl Sagan and Anne Druyan's book "Comet" has many historic depictions of comets. (where did I hear before that if you saw a new Carl Sagan book you knew he had an alimony case to sort out :) ) Donald Yeoman's book "Comets: In Art, Myth, and Science" is another keeper.

John

More
18 years 9 months ago #19839 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Great Comet of 1680
Thanks Paul for that. I wish i was near dublin to give it a visit.

Thanks for the book info John, i would sure like to get my hands on Dons book. I do have an old coply of comets by Carl and i think its a beautiful collectors item. I heard the new edition excludes the many stunning images and art work of the original

Cheers

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #19840 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Great Comet of 1680
No probs Martin.

Great skynotes; it sounds good.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19841 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Great Comet of 1680
Paul i like the quote from contact..thats a great film :wink:

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds