• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19927 by martinastro
Geminids, Jupiter And ISS was created by martinastro
Hi all

I did a Geminid watch last night from 03.00 - 06.43 out in the pitch in the hope of seeing some nice sky action. After moonset the sky was great, the first proper clear night in some time. I seen 28 meteors overall, 1 Ursid, 3 Sporadics and 24 Geminids, some of which left lovely ion trains. All the Gems were bright high quality meteors so i tried to catch one on an image. The low NE seemed a good spot as quite a few appeared in this area. I aimed the camera at the region of CrB and Bootes pressed the timer and shutter and took 15 sec exposures for a long time. On 3 occasions a meteor appeared in that very area but my camera did not seem to pick them up so i guess i need to catch a bigger fish to get a capture...next night.

Jupiter was a glorious sight as it rose in the east first over the low hedge rows then above my own house so i captured a few shots.....

tinypic.com/ifd369.jpg

tinypic.com/ifd6i8.jpg

tinypic.com/ifd6jn.jpg

Before dawn the ISS appeared in the heavens behind my back, it almost got a away but i caught it in the act...

tinypic.com/ifd7uv.jpg

tinypic.com/ifd7uv.jpg

tinypic.com/ifd84o.jpg

It was a stunning night, the wedge shaped glow of the Zodical Light appeared in the NE followed by the first glow of twlight so i headed in for the night. I look forward to doing a full Geminid watch on the nights around maximum.

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds