Geminid Watch And Aurora!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19984 by martinastro
Geminid Watch And Aurora! was created by martinastro
I done a great observing session last night. To cut a long story short i watched the stunning Moon and Mars conjunction as they set in the west through distant dark leafless tree branches. The moon illusion was very obvious and they both painted a stunning picture. I obtained 2 not very good images...

tinypic.com/igkpqh.jpg

tinypic.com/igkrh3.jpg

As the sky was suddenly plunged into darkness i was greated by a very faint green diffuse aurora in the NW, it vanished within one minute but i caught it in the act...

tinypic.com/igkrr6.jpg

The quiet pre dawn sky felt very festive and special. I observed 60 meteors, 2 of which were Fireballs and one gorgeous Taurid that sported a brillant green diamond head, fizzled out and left a glowing ruby red ion train in its wake for several seconds. All the Geminid meteors were bright and of high quality! I tried to captured one on an imaged but again the 2 that did shoot through my patrol area were to faint.

The ISS blazed across the sky making a relatively close approach to Spica and Jupiter. Images..

tinypic.com/igkshf.jpg

tinypic.com/igksid.jpg

tinypic.com/igksjs.jpg

Jupiter itself was a lovely sight in the east. Image...

tinypic.com/igkspj.jpg

I spotted planet Mercury just as the session ended but its proximity to a distant street light ruled out an image. This has been a great precursor to the Geminid maximum. I look forward to Mon and Tue evenings. Conor and i will be doing our annual all night Geminid watch were last year we logged 13 hours and 40 mins without a break, this year we hope to beat this record.

A shot of us during the aurora watch yesterday....

tinypic.com/igktbl.jpg

Clear skies and happy meteor observing!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19988 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Geminid Watch And Aurora!
well done Martin . . . cloudy in Dublin for a while anyway but I didn't check the sky after 9pm. It must have cleared here during the night as I was greeted by cloudless skies when getting up this morning.

I heard recently that the Internation Meteor Organisation are planning to publish a new version of their Handbook (written by Paul Roggemanns a good few years ago) during 2006. A real keeper of a book with a huge amount of info (they updated their star count areas a while back too with a new set published in their journal WGN . . . let me know if you want me photocopy these and I'll send them on with the Irish Times article).

John

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19992 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Geminid Watch And Aurora!
I couldnt say no to that John!!

Thankyou very much for that...cheers!

Mery Christmas

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 9 months ago #20013 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Martin, those are tweo lovely shots of the moon and mars! I got a shot myself - what a sight, the moon looked huge :shock: Looks like I was'nt the only one out then :P

I saw Mercury too, quite bright in the southeast at about 7.30am, after I woke up fuzzy-eyed :lol:

Keith..

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #20048 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Geminid Watch And Aurora!
Thanks for that Keith :D

I thought you would be out :wink:

Martin Mc Kenna

More
18 years 9 months ago #20054 by LUNAtic
Replied by LUNAtic on topic Re: Geminid Watch And Aurora!
Great dedication guys! You're putting this lazy bed lover to shame :oops: But yesterday morning (when rising early to get to Lidl for a cheap scope before work) I saw the beautiful site of Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn running east to west along the ecliptic. Breath-taking! I hope the conditions are clear for your session tonight Martin/Conor. I might even brave it myself :shock: but I reckon the full Moon will spoil the fireworks(?)

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds