• redmondb
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #19996 by redmondb
Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70? was created by redmondb
Folks,

I've just had a worrying experience with my new ETX-70 which I felt I should share with you all, on the off chance that it's NOT a complete one-off.

I had been trying out the alignment process, and then did a GOTO Polaris. Immediately I got the "Motor Fault" error. Crossing my fingers, I checked the batteries by attaching the battery block to a battery checker which showed the charge as Good. I put batteries back and tried again, with the same result.

I did notice that the LED display was dimming or failing completely whenever the 'scope moved, so I checked out the batteries individually. They ALL tested Excellent when I suddenly realised that one of them wasl leaking - so badly that it was actually fizzing.

I've checked the battery compartment, cleaned the battery holder and binned all of the batteries. Before I head off to buy new batteries (by the way, can a PP9 be used?), I thought that I should pass this on to the rest of you just in case Meade got a bad batch of batteries.

FWIW, the batteries are "Tecno Line High Tech Alkaline" with a best before date of 04/2013.

Regards,
Brian.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19998 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
Brian - thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully its a one-off buta slautary lesson on checking the supplied batteries. If there's any damage to the block etc, let me know, I've a dismantled ETX70 mount you're welcome to have.

If I remember rightly, the ETX took AA batteries but I could be wrong. Whatevr you use though, go for good quality batteries (eg Duracell) that are touted for use in digital cameras. Rechargables usually give you more oomph and work out cheaper in the long run.

Cheers

Dave

ps - the ETX70 OTA is the little scope piggybacked on the C8 in my Avatar :D

• redmondb
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #20000 by redmondb
Replied by redmondb on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
Thanks, Dave - but perhaps NOT for your postscript! :?

Regards,
Brian

More
18 years 9 months ago #20003 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
:lol:

More
18 years 9 months ago #20004 by lennonj
Replied by lennonj on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
Hey, i cat beleive you just put up that post...I am just back now from lidi after buying that telescope and im afraid to open it now.....Is this scope any good??? can you get good views of what ever it is your looking at??...Im not going to open mine until i hear how you get on with your own...But is it any use.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20006 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
It's a great little scope- no worries)))) I bought one last year and I find the tracking and optics are pretty good. No faults to report so far, and it's used pretty regularly.

Dave- someone told me in independant tests the Tesco Alkaline batteries actually scored better than the Duracell- go figure.

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds