K-Tec

Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?

More
18 years 9 months ago #20008 by briano
Replied by briano on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
I am just after using mine(dam its cold) and I found it very good.I couldn't see much with the moon being so bright but I got it to move to different objects and I am happy with it :D

Brian O Leary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20011 by pulsar
Replied by pulsar on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
you're right there, it really is freezing. I had it at -1.8░ earlier on. Brr.... Even the strongest willed astronomer must be frozen by that :D

===========================
Daniel
Did I ever tell you about my universal theory?
U=MB. The Universe is just one big milk bottle!
www.pulsar.co.nr

More
18 years 9 months ago #20015 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?

Dave- someone told me in independant tests the Tesco Alkaline batteries actually scored better than the Duracell- go figure.

Yep, heard this too. Of course, you'll never know till you test it for yourself, but onw word of warning to new ETX-70 users - rechargeable batteries are a complete no-no!!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• redmondb
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #20016 by redmondb
Replied by redmondb on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
lennonj, to give you some comfort, I've been messing about in the patio for the past hour with new batteries and no problems. If you're still worried then simply use your own batteries. Now get out there at once and start enjoying yourself!

Regards,
Brian.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20026 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?
If the only problem you have are dud batteries, then thats grand. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #20035 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Problem with batteries in Lidl ETX-70?

Folks,

I've just had a worrying experience with my new ETX-70 which I felt I should share with you all, on the off chance that it's NOT a complete one-off.

I had been trying out the alignment process, and then did a GOTO Polaris. Immediately I got the "Motor Fault" error. Crossing my fingers, I checked the batteries by attaching the battery block to a battery checker which showed the charge as Good. I put batteries back and tried again, with the same result.

I did notice that the LED display was dimming or failing completely whenever the 'scope moved, so I checked out the batteries individually. They ALL tested Excellent when I suddenly realised that one of them wasl leaking - so badly that it was actually fizzing.

I've checked the battery compartment, cleaned the battery holder and binned all of the batteries. Before I head off to buy new batteries (by the way, can a PP9 be used?), I thought that I should pass this on to the rest of you just in case Meade got a bad batch of batteries.

FWIW, the batteries are "Tecno Line High Tech Alkaline" with a best before date of 04/2013.

Regards,
Brian.

brian,
i had a somewhat similar expirence with the batteries and they have the same expiry date as yours. i was going through the 2 star alignment procedure and when i got to the end it said alignment failure. having seen your post earlier i would guess i have a similar problem. the batteries look fine, it is too late in the evening to go over to tesco's even though it is still open so i will get some new ones and try again. i was reduced to the primitive method of pointing manually to get the moon in view. the 25mm gives a nice full moon view.
stephen.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds