• Sizzzzzle
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 9 months ago #20082 by Sizzzzzle
Argos Telescope was created by Sizzzzzle
Hi,

Would I be right in thinking that the telescope in the Argos catalogue found here www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5803680.htm which they call the Celestron Powerseeker 675 Reflector Telescope, is the Celestron Firstscope 114?
The pictures look the same, and the descriptions sound the same.

I was planning on getting one of the lidl meade scopes last year and this year but alas circumstances prevented me getting anywhere near lidl!!!

Lidl did say that they are planning another stock of the scope early in the new year.

So now I am thinking I like the look of the Celestron telescope. Might just get that one. Does anyone have any thoughts on the argos V lidl scope?

Thanks

Sizzzzzzzle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20096 by LUNAtic
Replied by LUNAtic on topic Re: Argos Telescope
I'd imagine there are still a good few of the Skylux refractors left in Lidl. Read the comments in other threads about just how good these telescopes are - and for only €69! Worth checking out at less than half the price of that reflector in Argos.

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
18 years 9 months ago #20130 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Argos Telescope

Would I be right in thinking that the telescope in the Argos catalogue found here www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5803680.htm which they call the Celestron Powerseeker 675 Reflector Telescope, is the Celestron Firstscope 114?
The pictures look the same, and the descriptions sound the same.
Sizzzzzzzle

Celestron supply the Powerseeker range to the lower end of the market. This Powerseeker scope is NOT the same as the standard Celestron 114EQ and is best avoided. It's also far too expensive as listed on Argos. The standard Celestron 114EQ (#31044) with superior optics is only £119 so that's the one to go for if you want a Celestron 114. Avoid also the 114EQ Compact (#31041). This has a shorter tube and a slightly longer focal length of 1000mm (due to a built-in focal length extender) compared to the standard 114's 900mm. The 114EQ (#31044) is a nice starter scope and has about two and a half times the light gathering power of a 70mm refractor.

Gordon

More
18 years 9 months ago #20136 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Argos Telescope
Gordon - just out of curiosity, Argos are selling this 'below par' 114 for 160 quid. and you're saying that a full hit 114 is only 120 quid? If that's the case, Seanie M better change his by-line pretty darned quick :D

Seriously though, I always thought that Argos, with their buying power, would be able to offer deep discounts. Perhaps not, as you point out and in this case perhaps they're looking to make a healthy profit...

Caveat emptor reigns again... Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 9 months ago #20145 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Argos Telescope

Gordon - just out of curiosity, Argos are selling this 'below par' 114 for 160 quid. and you're saying that a full hit 114 is only 120 quid? If that's the case, Seanie M better change his by-line pretty darned quick :D Seriously though, I always thought that Argos, with their buying power, would be able to offer deep discounts. Perhaps not, as you point out and in this case perhaps they're looking to make a healthy profit...Caveat emptor reigns again... Thanks for pointing it out.
Dave

Dave,

Perhaps the price of the standard 114EQ has come down in the past few months. I'm not sure but it's at £119 on David Hind's site. At first I thought the Powerseeker 675 (114mm reflector) was motorised but it's not and even that would not make it worthwhile going for anyway. The fact that the the Powerseeker 675 is advertised as giving 675x should trigger loud warning bells. Same goes for the Powerseeker 660 in the Argos cataloge, a 60mm refractor for which 660x (!) is claimed; another scope to be avoided.

Gordon

More
18 years 9 months ago #20151 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Argos Telescope

Gordon - just out of curiosity, Argos are selling this 'below par' 114 for 160 quid. and you're saying that a full hit 114 is only 120 quid? If that's the case, Seanie M better change his by-line pretty darned quick :D

Pending! :wink:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds