K-Tec

Occultation of BY Cancri by Saturn on Jan 25, 2006

More
18 years 9 months ago #20431 by ayiomamitis

What's the best software program to generate specific asteroid and lunar occultation events for one's co-ords?

Michael,

The widely accepted standard is WinOccult V3.1 ... please see www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/occult3.htm .

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20434 by ayiomamitis

thanks Eamonn for that info. I'll put an item in Arcturus about it (Jan/Feb issue).

John,

Also take a quick look at www.astrovox.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2069 and the killer graphic at the latter part of the message.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• michaeloconnell
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #20444 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Occultation of BY Cancri by Saturn on Jan 25, 2006
Thanks Anthony. I'm downloading it right now...

More
18 years 9 months ago #20470 by LUNAtic
For the hundreds of Skylux owners out there (myself included) you can preview this occultation with the Cartes du Ciel software, as I did last night out of curiousity. Just enter the date as 25-01-06 at 18:00 and "find" Saturn. Zoom in on the planet and select "track Saturn" by right clicking. BY Cancri is the star on the upper right hand side of the planet (not to be confused with Saturn's moons - just do a right click "identify object" to confirm it). Set the animation to 1 or 2 mins and let it run. You will see BY Cancri pass behind the righthand (eastern) side of the rings and go behind the southern hemisphere of the planet to finally emerge near the southern pole. I don't know how accurate the times are from this software but it will give you a good indication for when you see it "live".

Hope it stays clear!

Cartes du Ciel available here: www.stargazing.net/astropc/

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
18 years 9 months ago #20479 by johnflannery
hi Anthony,

many thanks for that link . . . I haven't played around much with WinOccult but that is a very nice graphic! I bought the CD with the latest version direct off IOTA as the supplementary files are HUGE! Only $10 postage which was fine.

all the best for Christmas Anthony!

John

More
18 years 7 months ago #22366 by cobyrne
Anyone intending to observe this event from the inner city Dublin area?

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds