• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #20510 by martinastro
Recent Observing was created by martinastro
Hi all

I have been having an up and down observing run these last 3 nights. Sat night was an outstanding crisp clear night and the wanning moon revealed a semi dark sky as dusk arrived so i had a very good comet search in the SW sky. Sunday night looked to be in good shape too but when i uncovered the 16" for another evening search i found out that the frost on the previous night had frozen over the primary mirror destroying any ideas i had of using it so i compromised and did some hunting with the 8" until the moon rose. I guided the scope to the south ready to track down comet C/2005 E2 Mc Naught but this time the corrector froze over so it was very frustrating indeed. Last night was very cloudy with a few short lived clear gaps but i spent most of my time waiting for clouds to break. I got a little bored so i decided to take a few images of myself and 16" lol...

As of 2 nights ago i have started a photographic Nova search programme using my Fuji S5600 camera. Every night i have taken a 15 sec exposure of selected regions of sky within the Milkyway. I then process the images and cross check every star with Sky Atlas 2000. I can get down to mag 7.5 and perhaps deeper on excellent nights. Although the chances of a bright Nova discovery are slim, this is really just an excuse for me to get to the know the sky at a deeper level. I have noticed a marked improvment in my star positon knowledge already and have caught a selection of variable stars that i never even knew exsisted before so this introductory period has been successful already. I recently caught RZ Cass at maximum which was a nice suprise. So i hope to get plenty of clear nights over the Christmas period for further comet and nova hunting!

The aurora activity is still pretty good so keep an eye on the north tonight. Also comet 73P SW may reach 2nd mag in April - May next year so 2006 looks to be an exciting year for observing.

Good luck and clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20540 by LUNAtic
Replied by LUNAtic on topic Re: Recent Observing

Martin, I like the above photo. I think you should call it "Astronomy: The Waiting Game" :lol:

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #20566 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Recent Observing
LOL thanks Neill

It sure is a suitable title! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 8 months ago #20574 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Martin, Thats one beast you got there!!!!

Keith..

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #20576 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Recent Observing
LOL yea it is a big scope but perfect for stalking comets :wink:

Thanks for the comments keith!

Clear skies and good hunting to you :D

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds