Last Nights Observing!

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #21005 by martinastro
Last Nights Observing! was created by martinastro
Conor and i had a good observing session last night which ended at 04.30 due to clouds. This was mostly an aurora watch however we picked up nothing suspicious visually or with the cameras so perhaps the predicted activity will arrive on the 2nd instead. We observed 19 meteors, a mix of Geminids, Ursids, Quadrantids and sporadics that brightest of which was of mag - 3.0. We passed the time taking expsoures of the sky then decided to take out the scopes. We set up the..

10" Dobsonian
8" F/6.3 S.Cass
4.5" Tal 1 (which Conor used for webcam imaging)

Using these instruments we observed Saturn, M44, M76, M34, Double Cluster, M52, M13, M31, M32, M35, Mirach M42, M43 and i finnished up with a careful comet search through the eastern sky. The sky was in pretty good shape with the milkyway, M31 and M33 visible to the unaided eye. A nice enjoyable if somewhat quiet session!

Clear skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21021 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Last Nights Observing!
Yea we had a great night last night. I called martin at 10:40pm to see if i could get the 10inch and observed m42, m32, m31, m44 and also done some sneaky searching. I also observed Mars and Saturn. I used the 10inch for about an hour then went and got my Tal 1 with laptop and webcam. I tried to image Saturn but as my webcam is only a single frame taker nothing showed up. I observed Saturn through my scope with Barlow X2 and high power. Saturn was looking amazing, i could split the cassini division no problem and could belts round the planets also 3 its moons. I still was very impressed with my Tal 1 as it views are so crisp and it's a great scope. After packing away the equitment i decided to do a meteor watch in the near football pitch. I stood and stood for about an hour and see nothing. Then about 12 i seen 3 meteors all within a minute and they were a nice orange with short tails. I was getting really cold by this time so i headed in for 15mins to get a cuppa. When i came back out about 20mins later Martin arrived over and we continued the meteor watch. I was looking in the East when i saw a bright boderline fireball glide across the heading south. The head was all flared up white and it had a lovely long tail about 45deg long. Before we know it, it was 4am so we went over to the scope and done some observing for another hour. As the time was geting lat we finished a long and great at 4:45am

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds