K-Tec

Quadrantid Meteor Shower - Peaking 3rd January

More
18 years 8 months ago #21151 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Quadrantid Meteor Shower - Peaking 3rd January

Am i right that lightpoluting is kind of light pink color?

If you see it night after night, then yes! (providing its not a longterm aurora!). In most towns and cities in the developed world, orange-yellow sodium lamps are used, and rapidly replacing the blue-white mercury ones. The sodium lamps give off more luminence with pretty much the same power consumption, thats why they are chosen. But this luminence, if unchecked or not used properly, spreads out, causing a glow in the air above them.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21163 by Conor
So whats everyone doing tonight? Martin and myself are heading out to the country to gat away from red skies

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
18 years 8 months ago #21165 by Eirikg

Am i right that lightpoluting is kind of light pink color?

If you see it night after night, then yes!

Seanie.

Yes, i see it every night, i live 30km south from Bergen, Norway. First i tought it maybe was the sun setting. But i see it later at night too. When there is low clouds i can even see it right abow my head.

• donkearns
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #21166 by donkearns
The skies cleared here during the night. i got up at 7am to see if I could see anything. Plenty of stars but no meteors. Skies looking clear today so hopefully this evening at 7pm they will still be clear. I am lucky where I live. No major light pollution. Hopefully i will see something.

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 8 months ago #21170 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Shower Peak
These are only predictions, here on the radio it is very quiet with few reflections at 15-30, this shower might be many hours late, I guess peak sometime in early morning of the 4th if we are lucky. the quadrantids has traditionally been one of the better meteor showers for me but this year poor so far.
Keep an eye here
www.iap-kborn.de/radar/Radars/Skiymet/sky_main.htm
for meteor weather :-)
Charles

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds