Tonights viewing

• donkearns
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #21204 by donkearns
Tonights viewing was created by donkearns
Well, Met Eireann proved to be right and the skies were nice and clear tonight. I saw some impressive meteor ionisation trails, just where they were expected. Not yet as numerous as forecast. I saw just four with one trailing across the sky for a period of approx three seconds. Very impressive.
I used my (faulty) ETX 70 and was impressed with the view I had of Saturn. I was also really amazed at the perceived increase in the amount of stars obtained when viewing through the telescope. Unfortunately, the motor drive is faulty on my ETX and it won't stay steady in the vertical. This made it extremely difficult to centre objects. :(
I also turned the scope towards Mizar and was amazed to make out the binary stars there. Trying to steady the scope turned out to be a major hassle so I look forward to the scope being repaired.
As I am new to this, I am interested in what advice others can offer about viewing. What is a typical night like for you guys?

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21209 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Tonights viewing
Don,

Good to see that you are having a good night. Just a question about

it won't stay steady in the vertical

, could it be that the clamp for locking the verticle axis is not locked?? I was using a friends one and was supprised by the amount or tightening it needed to stop it creeping down.

Just a thought??

Michael

More
18 years 8 months ago #21210 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: Tonights viewing
same here, u need to tigh it good, though not TO hard as i guess this is only plastic.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21213 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tonights viewing
Don,
glad you have been able to see something tonight. I am at the stage here in Offaly that the roads are impassable due to unusually heavy fog tonight. It is difficult to make out the Moon and the brightest stars at times it is so thick.

Regarding your scope, as the 2 guys said, check both side tightening knobs.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• donkearns
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
18 years 8 months ago #21219 by donkearns
Replied by donkearns on topic Re: Tonights viewing
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I have already established with Meade that the motor is em..broken.
They are going to repair or replace it.Coming to collect it tomorrow in fact.
In the meantime, I can use the scope without motor assist. Unfortunately, when I centre an object and tighten (as much as I dare) the object disappears when I let go. With the 25X eyepiece, if I place an object at the bottom of the scope and tighten, when I release it ends up a bit above centre. The problem gets worse as I go up in magnification, as the error is itself magnified. I am therefore confined to the lower powers but I did manage to get Saturn lined up with the 12X AND the Barlow. I adjusted the tripod to assist in the process. Got there in the end. :)

I really must think of something interesting to use as a tag line!

More
18 years 8 months ago #21222 by william coghlan
Replied by william coghlan on topic Re: Tonights viewing
Somebody mentioned fog!!!!!!!! I had great plans for tonight. I left work in Mullingar at 20:00 and didn't get home until 20:50 (21 miles) :twisted: I HATE FOG :twisted:

Meade LX90 12" LNT
Orion Optics 12" f4 Dobsonian
EPs: currently in transition state
Health: CAF (Chronic Aperture Fever). No known cure. Known to cause Dobs to expand into Obsession.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds