Looking to get into astronomy

More
18 years 8 months ago #21568 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Looking to get into astronomy

80x25
98m/1000m
Day and Night

..on them.

I had a look to find out what the specifications mean, and the first number is supposed to be the zoom -- but I don't think that they're 80x, so they're obviously just wierd!

You're close.... but waaayyy off! :P

You have to split it into 2 parts Dave: '80' X '25'.

The 80 part is the diameter (in millimetres) of the objective (or light gathering) lens. Its like a high power magnifying lens in a way.

The 25 part is the magnification that your binoculars gives in each eye from objective lens, through the prism, to eyepiece, and to your pupil. Usually, these numbers are described the opposite way around e.g. 25 X 80's, so it can get confusing. But a rule of thumb is generally, the smaller of the 2 numbers is the magnification.

The 98m/1000m means that at a distance of 1000 metres, you will resolve a field of view approx 98 metres across.

Hope this helps,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21569 by MarkCahill
Replied by MarkCahill on topic Re: Looking to get into astronomy
John,

Just a question on the book club, how do you buy there books ??
Do they have a web site ???
The reason I ask is that I was think of buying that universe book, and what a fantastic price, I have seen it for 45 Euro in shops.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21572 by Daveo
Replied by Daveo on topic Re: Looking to get into astronomy

80x25
98m/1000m
Day and Night

..on them.

I had a look to find out what the specifications mean, and the first number is supposed to be the zoom -- but I don't think that they're 80x, so they're obviously just wierd!

You're close.... but waaayyy off! :P

You have to split it into 2 parts Dave: '80' X '25'.

The 80 part is the diameter (in millimetres) of the objective (or light gathering) lens. Its like a high power magnifying lens in a way.

The 25 part is the magnification that your binoculars gives in each eye from objective lens, through the prism, to eyepiece, and to your pupil. Usually, these numbers are described the opposite way around e.g. 25 X 80's, so it can get confusing. But a rule of thumb is generally, the smaller of the 2 numbers is the magnification.

The 98m/1000m means that at a distance of 1000 metres, you will resolve a field of view approx 98 metres across.

Hope this helps,

Seanie.

Ah, thanks for explaining! :D

So would they be ok binoculars? They only cost like a 5er :P I've read that 7x50 and 10x50 binoculars are best for astronomy. I suppose the lower magnification would be good for perspective and looking at constellations rather than individual stars -- would that be right? Would a higher or lower diameter be good though?

The binoculars also have 2 twisty adjusters on them -- one is on the right eyepiece, with plus and minus signs on it; and the other is in the middle, in between the two eye... things, lol.

Thanks

More
18 years 8 months ago #21573 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Looking to get into astronomy
Dave,
I'd say they are fine for astronomy! The only issue might be the sharpness and resolution at night of the optics, but as you have them aready, only you can get to know the skies, and let us know!

The middle twisty knob is for focusing them. The right 'eyepiece' is adjustable, as most people do not have 'accurate' 20/20 vision, so you can adjust the focus according to your right eye with that knob, then collectively with the focusing knob for both eyes when doing normal viewing. Once you have adjusted that eyepiece, and keeping your binos safe, you do not need to re-adjust each time you go to use them.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21574 by Daveo
Replied by Daveo on topic Re: Looking to get into astronomy
Ah right :)

While you're online, I've some more queries, if you don't mind :P

On another forum, someone said:

"Dont forget to look out for Saturn the other gas giant on view tonight.It is currently below the beehive cluster (M44), a nice open cluster easily seen in binoculors."

to which I replied:

"I don't suppose you'd be able to walk me through the steps to be able to see it, would you? I have (a) my eyes, (b) some crappy binoculars, (c) a sky map, which I don't understand how to read, and (d) a compass which seems to be crappy too.

Like do I go outside, look in a certain direction, and there it is? Or maybe in relation to the moon, would I look NSE or W of it?

I know you said it's below the beehive cluser, but I don't know how to find that either!"

Maybe you'd be able to help me out a bit...? :oops: I'm struggling to understand the sky charts and direction and the likes!

More
18 years 8 months ago #21577 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Looking to get into astronomy

Just a question on the book club, how do you buy there books ??
Do they have a web site ??? The reason I ask is that I was think of buying that universe book, and what a fantastic price, I have seen it for 45 Euro in shops.

hi Mark,

the company have a site -- www.thebookpeople.co.uk -- but they do not seem to have the new DK book listed. If you want, and you will be at the Connacht Star Party (or someone you know will be there), I can put in for a few extra copies at that price. The guy who delivers the books will be calling this Thursday. My mobile number is 086-8181931 if you are in Galway on the day at the Star Party (I'll be knocking around the IFAS stand anyway).

atb,

John

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds