K-Tec

Rain of red 'cells' in India

More
17 years 10 months ago #35533 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Rain of red 'cells' in India
just an update on this, Caught most of Horizon on BBC2 tonight. This Red Rain featured quite heavily as evidence of panspermia, although they did mention that 2 labs had found proof positive of DNA in the cells.

From looking at Horizon, it still seems they still are not sure of what it is. But according to the seti podcast mentioned earlier, they say that this red rain has been cultivated and sequenced and is a terrestrial algae...anybody hear anything else on this. If this red rain was clearly identified as a terrestrial algae, then why did BBC Horizon, which you would think was a reputable source, even bother mentioning it.

Anybody know the real deal / latest on this stuff...

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #35605 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Rain of red 'cells' in India
Good question, why bother if its algae, the fact that it contains DNA proves nothing in terms of panspermia, the question is the DNA recognisable as terrestial DNA, is there an answer to this ???

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 9 months ago #35868 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Rain of red 'cells' in India
If we have encountered or ever do encounter alien life how would we know unless it jumps up and hits us? Just because RNA and DNA provide the basic code for life on Earth is no guarantee that the mechanism that governs the formation of life in another environment will be anything like that, or that it will be like anything that we are currently capable of recognising as such.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds