Session 1778M

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #21706 by martinastro
Session 1778M was created by martinastro
Recorded Observing session 1778M - Comet Hunting session 637.

I did not set my alarm for pre - dawn this morning as i did not expect it to clear and i was very tired however my own body clock woke me 05.30 were i was greated to a pristene clear sky. Looking out of my east facing bedroom window i could see the variable RCrB and M13 with the naked eye but was also horified to see that the wind duirng the middle of the night had blown the cover of my 16" scope so i had no choice but to go out now.

I decided to have my first comet hunting session from my new home. A gentle relaxing 30min sweep through a section of Ophiuchus low in the NE were i picked up M12. The trans was excellent although the sky was a little bright due to the waxing Gibbous moon low in the west. Seen 2 lovely swift meteors. Clouds + Rain ended the session. I retired to bed but then awoke again at 07.00 to a crystal clear sky. I opened my bedroom window, set up my camera on the window sill using the mini tripod that came with it and took a few Nova patrol images within Aquila, Cygnus, Lyra, Sagitta and Vulpecula.

I was amazed to see Scorpious with red Antares very prominent in the SE! The sky has changed so much since i have moved to my new location. My pre dawn recce has revealed that i can get quite close to the sun in the NE and get much lower in the south which will be good for comet hunting and i suspect i might be able to bag the remaining Messier objects that have eluded me from my previous home. I would sure like to get the Messier catalogue completed! The sky is very dark from here and the environment very quiet which i like a lot. After chatting with the site foreman i found out that the streetlights will not be put up for at least another year so things are looking good for the near future and i will certainly make the most of it before the lights appear.

All best and Clear Skies!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21739 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Me too! :D I was looking out at just before 7am for my first meaningful morning session of the year. Managed to see Antares low in the southeast above a slightly crimson sky, Jupiter blazing above alpha librae, and scanning old summer milkyway hunting grounds with my binoculars for the 1st time in a while.

Lovely crisp morning indeed! Does the heart good!
Keith..

• martinastro
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #21740 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Session 1778M
Its a great feeling knowing you were out to keith. I wish i new the stars as well as you! :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 8 months ago #21742 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
If I could see them as often as you that would be a bonus :D

Evening sky is great now, the moon will be out of the way in a week....

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds